Intercooler issue a recall now!

retics4me

Established Member
:rolling: I went to get my I.C replaced tonight and the one they sent was broken !! a chunk off the base was missing ? now i wait again . while i was there the tech told me its now a recall . he printed it up and it says as of sept .30th it will be in effect. also on the print out it said any milage so you guys out of warranty will be good to go .

1badtk

Established Member
Not A Recall

To quote A Ford dealer shop manager:

"Just checked OASIS and it is a fact. Owner notifacation program 01B81 for intercooler. What this means is if intercooler is leaking it will be replaced. This is not a recall. Just pulled it up from Ford. The program is good through 9-30-02 with no mileage limit. Refunds for any repairs done also. It is a program that you will get a letter and have to call in and order your part and tell Ford which dealer you want it shipped to."

Owner Notification Program means keep your eye on the mail.

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
Well that's good news, I think. I guess I'll get that done when I take it in for the wiper motor recall notice I got.

I don't like the thoughts of some Gomer ripping into the motor but I guess it's got to be done at some point.

whip

Established Member
Flasvt..
I'm with you dude! MY i/c just started leaking yesterday. I've turned wrenches my whole life and I really don't want some meathead playing with my blower and then playing race car driver with my truck for a "lunch run" Oh well, need to get the wipers done also, might as well just close my eyes and hand them my keys!

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
So here's what I've done in the past when I've taken mine in. I've got one of those big red capenter crayons. When I drop it off I put two big ol red lines across the tread area of the rear tires. I make sure the service writer sees them and knows what they are for. If they aren't there when I pick the truck up then there is hell to pay. I also write down the mileage and make sure that he knows I've got that as well. Anything requiring over a mile of driving must be cleared by me before it's done. I also make it clear that they are not to take it off dealership property without calling me first.

So why would I do something like that? I had an 97 F150 that was in for service. A friend of mine called me and asked if I was off work that day to which I replied "no". He said the reason he called was he saw my truck parked at a liquor store aournd 3:30 in the afternoon and thought maybe I was taking the day off. That liquor store was 17 miles from the dealership. You should have heard the BS story they tried to feed me about why my truck was seen at a liquor store in the middle of the afternoon.

BostonL

Established Member
Well, the campaign hasn't even started yet and there's already a difference of opinion between service departments and SVT. When I saw the post yesterday I went to a service dept. on my way home from work. They printed up the letter off OASIS. Dealer's interpretation: recall is for inspection, replacement is only for leaking ICs. The service action in the letter states "Dealers must replace the supercharger's intercooler sub-assembly and top off the intercooler coolant system on all effected vehicles.". The letter describes affected vehicles: "Certain 1999 and 2000 model year F150 Lightning vehicles built at the Ontario Truck Assembly Plant from the beginning of production for the 1999 model year through the end of production for the 2000 model year.".
Nothing in the letter mentions inspection, or that affected vehicles have a leak. Nothing in the letter about aftermarket parts being the cause. I called SVT and was told its a "replacement" for ALL 99-00 Ls, regardless of leak or no leak.
I think Ford has to replace ICs regardless of mods: however, they can still void powertrain warranties even if they fix intercooler on recall.
Sorry for long post!

Screamin-Bolt

Established Member
Owner Notification Program 01B81

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OWNER NOTIFICATION PROGRAM
01B81 Certain 1999 and 2000 Model Year F150 Lightning Vehicles - Intercooler Replacement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. R. O'Neill
Director
Vehicle Service and Programs
Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121

September 2001

TO: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Owner Notification Program 01B81 - Certain 1999 and 2000 Model Year F150 Lightning Vehicles - Intercooler Replacement

RE: Dealer Announcement dated May 10, 1999, Low Volume Announcement Letter
Dealer Announcement dated 12/17/98, Special Handling Procedure

OASIS:
Yes

OWNER LIST:
Yes

PARTS RETURN:
No

PROGRAM TERMS:
This program will be in effect until September 30, 2002, regardless of mileage.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 1999 and 2000 model year F150 Lightning vehicles built at the Ontario Truck Assembly Plant from the beginning of production for the 1999 model year through the end of production for the 2000 model year.

REASON FOR PROGRAM

In some of the affected vehicles, the supercharger intercooler may fracture and create an internal coolant leak. If this occurs the vehicle may experience loss of engine performance at full throttle.

SERVICE ACTION

Dealers must replace the supercharger's intercooler sub-assembly and top-off the intercooler coolant system on all affected vehicles.

LOW VOLUME PROGRAM

This recall is being processed as a Low Volume Program. This type of field action was announced in an All-Dealer letter dated May 10, 1999. Owners will be contacting the Low Volume Recall Coordination Center to arrange for this service. We will advise you via MORS III of the owners that chose your dealership to perform the service provided by this Owner Notification Program. The parts will be ordered for you by the Program Coordination Center. You are requested to contact the owner and arrange for this service. (Note that our Coordination Center will advise owners that they will hear from you within the next two business days of owner contact).

SPECIAL HANDLING PROCEDURE

The Special Handling Procedure has been activated for all Lightning owners affected by this program. Please see dealer announcement dated 12/17/98, Special Handling Procedure. The special handling procedure provides additional allowance to enable dealers to offer Lightning owners convenient vehicle handling.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Customer Notification Letter
QUESTIONS?

Claims Information:................................................................1-800-423-8851
Non-SVT Related Program Questions: ....................................1-800-325-5621
Ford SVT Questions:............................................................1-800-367-3788
SVT Owner Scheduling:........................................................1-800-248-0186

CPR © 2001 FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Published By: Recall/Service Programs Department

Screamin-Bolt

Established Member
Technical Info for 01B81

ATTACHMENT III
Owner Notification Program 01B81

ATTACHMENT III

Technical Information

F-150 LIGHTNING SUPERCHARGER INTERCOOLER

AFFECTED VEHICLES:
CERTAIN 1999 AND 2000 MODEL YEAR F-150 LIGHTNING

OVERVIEW

Replace the supercharger intercooler subassembly and top-off the supercharger intercooler system with coolant.

SERVICE TIPS

For this program, the supercharger intercooler is serviced with the upper intake manifold as an assembly. DO NOT separate the intercooler from the upper intake manifold during the installation process.
For a proper and long-lasting repair, all of the gaskets provided in the repair kit must be used.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Install the new supercharger intercooler/upper intake manifold assembly. Refer to the Charge Air Cooler–Lightning Replacement Procedure in Section 303-12 of the 2000 model year Workshop Manual.
Make sure the lower intake is free of debris or fluid prior to installing the new intercooler assembly.
For proper gasket alignment, the dowels must be located in the new upper intake manifold (See Figure 1) and the lower intake manifold (See Figure 2) as illustrated.

FIGURE 1

FIGURE 2

SYSTEM PRESSURE TEST

After filling the supercharger intercooler system with coolant, pressure test the system per Section 303-03B, Supercharger Cooling, Diagnosis and Testing in the 2000 model year Workshop Manual.
If the system does not hold pressure, check all hoses and connections and perform necessary repairs.

CPR © 2001 FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Published By: Recall/Service Programs Department

---- I LOVE BEING A DEALERSHIP EMPLOYEE------

Screamin-Bolt

Established Member
PARTS + LABOR 01B81

I am sorry if those were kind of long but that is recall right from ford. If your intercooler is leaking CALL the dealership first. Most dealership will not be stocking these parts due to it being a low volume recall. But the good thing is that Ford WILL pay for a slow piece of SHIT for you to drive while your baby is in the shop. All the details are listed in there. If you have not figured it out yet i am a technition at a Lincoln - Mercury Dealership. We have access to all this shit before anyone on the outside gets to know. In the future if anyother recalls come up i will try to post them to let everyone see what the hell will actually be done to there trucks. By the way the recall pays us techs 2.2 hours or 2 hours and 12 mins. expect it to be about 1 whole day for this one, just to one the safe side!

Users who are viewing this thread