Intercooler Help

61mmstang94

Established Member
precision says surface area is better than thickness. Im lost

The bigger the core the more air that can flow through it easier. The smaller the core, the harder it'll be for air to get through (thus more lost psi in a smaller core). It is better to go with more height and width than going thicker, but you can only go so wide and so high (due to space restrictions in your front bumper) to where you need to start adding thickness to it to allow more air to flow. Precision is right in what they're saying because you want it to have a bigger face to catch more air on it as thickness won't be as effective. That's why I was saying that you can't just say you need X" thick intercooler to support "X" amount of hp because it also matters how tall and wide the face of the core is.

You're starting to overcomplicateing things at this point as you just need to pick one out that's proven to support the power you're looking to make. If you go to VS racing and get the 4" intercooler (if you can fit it in your bumper) and you will hardly see any pressure drop and it'll give you room to grow power-wise down the road.

Last edited:

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
so what is the proper size and type of intercooler to buy for someone making 500rwhp?

61mmstang94

Established Member
Just because it will "support" it doesn't mean that it is efficient at doing so and will make good power compared to other intercoolers.

Do you understand what an intercooler does? That intercooler has been proven to be efficient at 500hp and produce good IATs (which is the entire purpoes of an intercooler). What do you think he's going to have a 500hp setup, run an oversized intercooler and magically make 600hp? I'm telling you from experience I know this intercooler will easily be efficient at 500hp all day and night.

Last edited:

Furinox

Established Member
I went from this intercooler 31x12x3 :
AU-IC%2BKit.jpg

To this intercooler 26.50" X 12.00" X 3.50" :
img-34-1-xlarge.jpg

Gained 20 hp to the wheels.

61mmstang94

Established Member
I went from this intercooler 31x12x3 :
AU-IC%2BKit.jpg

To this intercooler 26.50" X 12.00" X 3.50" :
img-34-1-xlarge.jpg

Gained 20 hp to the wheels.

I don't care about dyno numbers. You still can't prove to me that there were no changes in the tune, the dyno, the temperature, or any other mods done to the car, etc. that would easily make up that minimal 20hp difference. Every setup is different and will react different but the only thing I'd even care about it how much better it actually performs compared to the old intercooler. Dyno numbers are pretty but if it didn't make an actual difference in performance at the track then who cares?

Last edited:

Furinox

Established Member
I don't care about dyno numbers. You still can't prove to me that there were no changes in the tune, the dyno, the temperature, or any other mods done to the car, etc. that would easily make up that minimal 20hp difference. Every setup is different and will react different but the only thing I'd even care about it how much better it actually performs compared to the old intercooler. Dyno numbers are pretty but if it didn't make an actual difference in performance at the track then who cares?

Why the **** should I have to prove it to you idiot? I was only trying to help the OP out not sell a product.

Users who are viewing this thread