intercooler = heat exchanger???

TokenBlackGuy

Established Member
I took my cobra in due to loosing coolant. the dealership told me I had a hole in the intercooler. A new Ford intercooler cost $730. This may be a dumb question, but are intercooler and heat exchanger the same thing? If so, I'm thinking about going aftermarket like LFP ($279). Thanks for the help.

Travis

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
Damn I dont think I have ever heard of one on a cobra leaking before. A quality radiator shop could probably repair the intercooler for $73 instead of $730.

Ford was jewing early L guys replacing leaky intercoolers with leaky intercoolers to deplete stock..........

MVD

Established Member
Zorabot said:
Ford was jewing early L guys replacing leaky intercoolers with leaky intercoolers to deplete stock..........

Not really. There was an intercooler recall on the 99 Lightnings that was a legitimate problem.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
MVD said:
Not really. There was an intercooler recall on the 99 Lightnings that was a legitimate problem.

recall was for 1999 & 2000

unlike safety recalls it was time-limited, so many owners got screwed :(

Last edited:

JohnsDSGVert

Established Member
Intercooler

I have an aftermarket intercooler (the one under the supercharger....not the HE in the front facia ) that I had custom made for my Cobra......Paid $1050.00 am not using as I am reducing boost and going back smaller with everything.

I can shoot some pics tomorrow and send them to you......will sell for $350.

Let me know if you are interested......you can PM me.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
If you had a hole in your intercooler you would have intercooler fluid (coolant) in your intake. Did the dealership take your S/C off? Or say anthing about fluid in your intake?

My guess is you H/E is leaking as they are open for rock and road debris hits.

Go back and get them to show you where the leak is.

I wouldn't be too shocked about the price. After all they want over $200 just for a headlight housing.

Users who are viewing this thread