Intercooler Fluid temp question

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
Bought my current 03 in May this year and have been trying to figure out a few things. Not my first big blower car, but my first bigger PD setup. I think my inter-cooler pump is on its way out or has been weak for a while, but wanted to get feedback before I purchase another as it already has a Meziere installed. If anyone has experienced this or can give feedback about what their temps look like during/after a pull, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a KC installed, so turn it on, let it cool down to about 40-45 degrees(read from a temp gauge, the sensor is on the return line off the blower heading into the inter-cooler tank) If i do a 3rd gear pull starting around 3k and pull till 6200 or so, my temp gauge will go from around 40 to about 140 or more in a single gear. I expect the coolant temp to rise of course, but should it be that drastic of a change in a single gear? KB 2.6, catted X, EGR delete

Thanks in advance

bigmoose

Established Member
Have you verified your sensor is good? If the sensor is reading 140 after a single gear you should be feeling hot fluid with your finger in the tank.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
ill confirm this weekend. The gauge drops quickly after i let off and cruise for a second, it seems like just during the run it spikes up really fast.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I would try burping it first in case you have an air pocket in the system.. and verify if coolant is hot as mentioned. IIRC once I saw my IAT2's hit high 120's when I lost my freon charge in the KC. I usually just monitor my IAT2's not the IC temp, but I've never observed the IC fluid hot anymore if the KC is working and your seeing steady flow on your tank return.

Last edited:

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Yeah like above. on a 70 degree day im seeing IAT2 temps in the mid 70s after a full pull my IATs get into the 120 range. Then go back down quickly. But i have never monitored the actual coolant temps.

hotcobra03

Established Member
^^^ as said..guage reads air temp not the coolant

Than I think summer temps will be much higher than winter like temps..

Users who are viewing this thread