Intercooler fluid level is this FREEZE !

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
I meant to title this: "Intercooler level IN this freeze" (damn auto spell). Someone go ahead and slap me for OCD worrying ... But I too checked my intercooler fluid level last night. Was about 1/4" (barley) under the mark on reservoir. My 20+ years of wrenching I know that this cold can drop the level a bit. Car is currently sitting in my 2nd garage (about 4-10 degrees). I do have about a 50/50 mix in there, pulled the relay and jumpered it, everything was circulating like usual, pump sounded good. Am I freaking out because the cold dropped the level a bit ? Suppose to be upper 40's this weekend, we'll see if that brings level up to line. Like it said, just a few capfuls below the line, but car has been sitting for months. Am I worrying about nothing ? I have seen the level fluctuate ever so slightly as long as I've owned the car (never had to add any fluid), seems ambient temps will raise and lower the level ever so slightly. Anyone else agree or seen this too ?

Last edited:

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
I think as long as you're not consistently adding fluid you'll be ok

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
If you have a 50/50 mix I wouldn't worry, especially if everything is circulating properly. The problem is when people run straight water or not enough antifreeze the liquid expands and cracks the intercooler. If that happened when you ran the pump your reservoir would run dry and you would have water in your lower intake. Sounds like your intercooler fluid didn't freeze at all so I think you shouldn't worry.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you jumped the pump to make it run and the level didnt plummet Id imagine youre ok

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Thanks fellas. Makes me feel better. I know I've seen coolant resivoirs drop a little in these cold temps. You all know the feeling what I'm expressing. For what it's worth, was about 6* out there.

LOL ... Someone else go check their OEM intercooler tank so I know I'm not freaking about nothing. It's seriously less then a 1/4" down. But just enough to make my mind wander.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Came home from work, turned the heat off in the garage (so I could listen to the coolant pass through inter/after coolers) jumpered the pump for about 7-8min (which is also only about a year old) and everything seems fine. Pump is quiet, flow is strong, level is where it's been for weeks now anyway (just a smidgen below the line). Quick story ... I remember one time this summer it was 1/4" ish down like now so I added fluid, took for a drive, and level was above then line then, lol .. had to remove what I added (not much, 1oz of so ? Lol). I think my OCD is getting the better of me in my "middle age". Thanks for input and listen to my bullshit ramble fellas ..... Think the last few threads about this topic, the rubber-ducky Steve posted, and these frigid negative ambient temps got the better of my mind. Guess it's just physics (temps), and perhaps just how the pump stops and/or angle of car ?

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Lol ... Edit: found the culprit.

Went out and had a smoke, put some good light under the car and low and behold, a faint quarter sized "wet" mark. As I suspected, one of the OEM spring clamps on the intercooler to hard line to intercooler rubber line has shown evidence of "weepage". I've read threads about people replacing all the spring clamps, but I like the OEM look. Last winter had the engine apart and I now recall having to get the rubber to hard lines and clamps positioned just right, or I'd see the end of the rubber hose get damp. Guess I should locate some kind of replacement clamps to add to the list this winter. Anyone know where to source some OEM style spring clamps ? I hate the look of worm gear style clamps, plus they bite into the rubber and spring clamps hold constant tension in all conditions (until they get old like mine, lol). Probably couldn't hurt to locate some all new rubber hoses while I still can.

... See, these are the little reminders that these cars are unfortunately aging. I'm just the type of guy that keeps everything as close to perfect or new as possible. My conscious can't tolerate leaks, damp gaskets, anything, lol .... I'm the FN wipe the dust off my engine block kind of guy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread