Intercooler blew up!

03sm3341

Established Member
Ok my intercooler blew up. My car never sits out side in the winter and well the past few weeks It sat out side because I have another cobra in my garage getting worked on. I should have know better. So pissed at my self. This it what ive done so far....
*****heads had water on the valves. I pulled the plugs and cranked it over with no blower. A poof came out thats it. then i poured a cap full of atf in each head port then cranked again. then poured atf in the plug holes and let it sit. douched out the blower with wd40 and douched all the injectors and lower intake. Is there anything else I can do you all can think of I havent already done. Motor spins freely so I hope its ok.
On another note personal best pulling the blower. 27min I guess being upset makes you work faster. lol

539634_4160979636696_952520805_n_zpse08a7ac6.jpg

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
**** man that sucks I'm really sorry to here.. Congrats on 27mins tho :eek: that's ****ing moving!!

RussZTT

Established Member
I have a stock intercooler for sale if your interested. Mint condition, ears cut for max air flow and its been cleaned.

Avispa

Established Member
Cars fixed! Ran like crap for a few minuets but straightened out.

Great to hear!!!

I'm still stunned about the 27 minute blower removal. I thought I was doing great to do a full stock Eaton to Whipple conversion in 5 1/2 hours last fall. I'm calling you when it's time to put a 2.9 Whipple on my car...lol

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
Did you get your intercooler repaired? I did the same thing in my truck a few years back and just ended up getting it welded back up. I drove my truck about 4 miles till I realized that it was pouring water in the cyclinders, changed the oil 4 or 5 times, then it was fine. Sometimes dumb luck pays off.

RussZTT

Established Member
Awesome! My quickest time of removing is 15 min. I found it easier to remove the entire SC with lower still bolted on.

03sm3341

Established Member
Did you get your intercooler repaired? I did the same thing in my truck a few years back and just ended up getting it welded back up. I drove my truck about 4 miles till I realized that it was pouring water in the cyclinders, changed the oil 4 or 5 times, then it was fine. Sometimes dumb luck pays off.

It was welded and pressure tested to 15psi for 10 min. Hope its good.

Awesome! My quickest time of removing is 15 min. I found it easier to remove the entire SC with lower still bolted on.
+1 the only way to do it!

Users who are viewing this thread