Intercooled or Not?

higgins363

Established Member
hey so im thinking about getting a supercharger for my 2001 gt, but idk what kind to get. It seems like most people have vortechs for theres, but i also dont know what the difference is between intercooled and not, what i mean is which is better?
thanks

FutureCobraGuy

Established Member
The intercooler is just as much a safety item as it is a performance item, if not more IMHO. I don't have much experience with them though. But why not run one other than cost?

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
+1 on the intercooler. Go with a Procharger and you won't have to piece a system together like I did.

SoldierSnake

Like a kid again.
Established Member
Along with the OP I am wondering what exactly an Intercooler does, how does it add HP, how much would it add to a S-Trim Vortech, and how does it affect boost?

Thanks for the helping a domestic noob.

JasonSnake

Established Member
Along with the OP I am wondering what exactly an Intercooler does, how does it add HP, how much would it add to a S-Trim Vortech, and how does it affect boost?

Thanks for the helping a domestic noob.

1) Supercharger sucks in outside air.
2) Outside air becomes hot when it is compressed and also b/c it goes through a hot supercharger.
3a) this hot, compressed air goes through an intercooler, cooling it down significantly, near outside air temps. The engine loves this cool air and tuners can bump up the timing for better numbers.
3b) this hot, compressed air goes straight into the engine, engine can potentially have severe pre-detonation (b/c the air is already really hot), stressing the pistons and other parts. You'll hear the engine knock badly when not tuned properly and engine dies.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
I have a Vortech with a Paxton Intercooler. I would defintely suggest getting a kit with an intercooler. My motor blew when mine was non-intercooled because my intake charge temps were hot enough to cook steaks well done for a small city!

An intercooler doesn't actually add hp. It actually drops the pressure (psi) and cools intake temps allowing the motor to run more efficiently while under boost and at the same enables more boost (psi) to be added to flow...given the correct setup, like bigger blower or changing out the pulley.

I ran 378rwhp and 346rwtq on a non-intercooled setup at 6psi. I then added the intercooler and dropped my pulley size and made 436rwhp and 390rwtq at 9psi. My intake temps are as cool as can be :coolman:

Last edited:

blownfox

Established Member
could you just install a meth kit instead of a intercooler or aftercooler?

1992sc50

What, its just a 5oh!
Established Member
Like everyone else said the intercooler is the way to go to drop the air charge. Lower air temp allows for more dense air/fuel mixture and more HP. You can run w/out an intercooler and be fine but if you can get one w/a kit, it just makes more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread