Intake Runner control

pr627

Established Member
can someone explain to me how Intake runners operate and what their function is ?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The 96-98 Cobra have a twin runner. It was designed to give better driveability and better top end HP by combining two runner lengths in one intake. At 3250 they open up the secondary intake runners so that all of the intake is wide open. They open by a signal sent off the crank/tach sensor to a actuator box under the intake. For lack of a better description. That any help?

pr627

Established Member
yeah that helps out alot GR8 White, thanx !
a trustworthy and very reliable mechanic advised me my secondary runners were not opening up so he is going to replace them....

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by TLush
for the 96 to 98's, does the newer ones also have them?:shrug:

Nope, in 99 Ford went back to the single runner style. Notice how the 99+ Cobra intakes look similar to the 5.0L intakes.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by pr627
yeah that helps out alot GR8 White, thanx !
a trustworthy and very reliable mechanic advised me my secondary runners were not opening up so he is going to replace them....

It may be the control module not operating properly. We had a member recently with a similar problem. He found the answer in the wiring on his control module under the intake.

svtcobra553

Established Member
Yup that was me the plug in the back of the box had worked itself
loose. It's probly worth checking out before you spend the 100 plus on the new box. I did now i got a perfecly good one sitting on a shelf. and 100 dollers gone that could have gone to somthing else.

COBRASVT

Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
The 96-98 Cobra have a twin runner. It was designed to give better driveability and better top end HP by combining two runner lengths in one intake. At 3250 they open up the secondary intake runners so that all of the intake is wide open. They open by a signal sent off the crank/tach sensor to a actuator box under the intake. For lack of a better description. That any help?

If I'm not mistaken, the main purpose of them was to provide low end torque that the 96-98 suffered from big time.

If you remove them, you have your upper torque/power, but you loose your low end grunt. That's why the s/c guys do away with them. They aren't really needed with the extra power under boost and you don't have to worry about the actuator going bad.

pr627

Established Member
PROBLEM: i am driving the car at various speeds and when trying to accelerate by smashing the pedal, the car hesitates for a few seconds then magically something kicks in and I get the full power. I notice its around the 3000-3400 rpm range so i assume its those secondary riunners not opening up. If I am already over that rpm range mentioned above and stomp the pedal, the car takes off like it should.

I had this problem before but its happening again. the first time I changed the control module it solved the problem but now it is happening again. that module was off a used intake so I guess it could actually be bad also. I am going to buy a new one this time and hope that permanently solves the problem. the runners themselves should be fine, wouldnt u think ???

if the intake runner control module/actuator is not working, will that also cause the check engine light to come on ???

fuel filter, throttle body and injectors have just been cleaned so thats taken care of

SVTMUST97

Established Member
My intake problem is that when I dyno the car its cracking all of the graph around 5300 rpm. Do you think in the modular is not getting enough volted. I can use so help. Eric 97

Users who are viewing this thread