Intake question (sort of)

MatchStick

Master of the drunken pee
Established Member
Are cold air kits/ MAF/ T-body combos really worth the money? I have read various threads on other boards saying most, if not all T-bodies are more or less pointless and offer no type of HP gain only throttle response. I know on my GT's I've owned that I did notice a slight difference in performance, nothing major, but noticeable.

Moving on. I want to pick up a CAI kit of some sort, haven't really done my homework on these yet. Any particular ones to avoid?

And finally MAF. How good is the stock meter? Is their any reason to change it out on a stock motor?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. :coolman:

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
Anything you can do to get more air into the 4.6 is worth the money. These motors respond better to air increases better than any motor I've ever seen.

Nick

blk96SVT

Established Member
I would say don't waste your money on a TB, unless you plan on supercharging, but then you still don't see many S/C'd cars with a larger TB. Stay away from BBK Cai as its metal and not good for cold air intake. Either the Densecharger or WMS are the way to go.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
IMO, I would also say TB are a waste of money, and the only thing I would do as far as CAI is buy a K&N. Some CAI look nice but are worthless, and some give u a little gain but cost too much.
Just my .02

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Remember. the 03-04 Cobras are using the same size T-body that we have stock, and you see the power they are capable of.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
the oval bore throttle body's are better for making power with a s/c, thats the way to go if you ever do upgrade, but like they said, dont bother with a stock engine, my suggestion for cai is an open air filter to ditch the box, and a c&l intake pipe, but I put a pro m maf on my car and it really made a difference, car runs better and idles a lot better, im still waiting to get my c&l pipe, keep blowing my money on other things

MatchStick

Master of the drunken pee
Established Member
Thanks again for the info guys. I think I'll just drop in the K&N and leave the rest as is. I need to finish getting the rear built first.

Users who are viewing this thread