Intake porting

tnuce10

Established Member
Starting to collect parts for my turbo build this winter and have a few questions regarding intake porting.

I have an 01 intake I will be using. Is there much to be gained from porting?

If so, who does a food job porting these and what should I expect to pay?

Mystic03

Established Member
I've debated on getting mine ported by mmr..my buddie has his ported but still has a dropoff at 6500...go suvillian lower with hp upper

Venomous 03

Established Member
That would be sweet but that's not in my budget right now. What causes the drop off?

Intake runner length too long for top end.
01 cobras Long runner all low/mid power
Sullivan short runners all mid/high power

Any good porting will always increase performance ofcourse.setup im building i have everything ported.heads,intake,and turbine housings.

badblacklx

Established Member
You can pull one higher than 6500 with a shortened runner cobra intake. A Sullivan is a high rpm short runner intake that will only show you a peak number. Unless you are running an after market ecu and plan to spin it 7500 or better there is no point in a Sullivan. It is a dyno queen. Tmhutch from mach1 forums is very good and na svt does them on here.

z28misfit

Established Member
MMR quoted me $500 to port an 01 cobra intake and they don't even cut the bottom off to do any port work inside the runners like Ive seen some porters do. I was lucky enough to find a member on here who was selling a Ported Short Runner 03 mach 1 lower intake. With that being said maybe you can keep your eyes open for someone selling an intake that's already ported and sell your stock un-ported intake.

tnuce10

Established Member
That is exactly what MMR quoted me as well. I asked what specifically they do when porting and have yet to get a reply.

na svt gave me a price of $625 but didn't provide a whole lot of detail as far as what exactly he does. Does anyone know if he opens the intake up?

Between the 2, I would much rather keep my money in the SVTP family.

Venomous 03

Established Member
That is exactly what MMR quoted me as well. I asked what specifically they do when porting and have yet to get a reply.

na svt gave me a price of $625 but didn't provide a whole lot of detail as far as what exactly he does. Does anyone know if he opens the intake up?

Between the 2, I would much rather keep my money in the SVTP family.

For 625 i suggest just selling the one you have and getting an already modified one.save a couple hundred bucks

tnuce10

Established Member
I will keep an eye out for one popping up for sale. Luckily, I have awhile before this build will be complete

Eatonualive281

Established Member
This is very interesting. I'm in the same boat. I run a stock 01 manifold. As soon as the boost stops building, the power just flat lines and won't climb at all. What runner length would be best?

Users who are viewing this thread