Intake input.

MoGunz

Established Member
Tvs gen 2 gt500 tb on the way. I currently have a fipk slapped in there and have hit a wall as im not too thrilled for the factory tube. Came with the car.

I could order jlt ram air upgrade kit and fandangle it to the fipk.

Was also looking at the crusher intake tube fandangled to the fipk as i dont really want to sacrifice the heat sheild.

Will be using factory maf housing with vmp3000

Will the crusher be pointless bottlenecking at the maf housing? Tuning problems maybe? The jlt tube just looks so narrow like it could be better. Im sure it will put better numbers than the factory tube but i feel like the gt500 tb could eat much more. Should i just leave it as is? Obviously the more air the better depending on temps. Maybe im just over hyping the tb? Any input?

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Soap

Established Member
You can not use the Crusher setp with that MAF housing. Crusher comes with a 5" MAF housing and you need to get a MAF. Most use a GT500 MAF.

--Joe

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Side note.....heat shield does nothing. Your IAT1's will be the same with and without it.

--Joe

Pretty much.

I did this experiment last year using my aeroforce and a jlt ram air heat shield. The heat shield was worth a 3* reduction in temp. Didn't matter if the car was stopped or moving. Of course, the moving temp was slightly lower than the stopped temp, but still only 3* between shield and no shield.

I did this test while completely heat soaked and for an hour each way, shield and then no shield. Ambient temps remained constant throughout the test and it was night time, so no chance for the sun to poke in and out of the clouds and skew the readings.

HPLouis

Established Member
I've always wondered if what you're experiencing with the high IAT1's negate any benefits of the Ram Air Intakes. I know they flow more air than the stock intake tube but I wonder if the hotter air negates the increase in flow.

Another thing I was told is that the hot air is actually pulled under and away from the car when it's in motion. Also the vents in the hood take some heat away. I never tested this, I was just told by my tuner and I would like to know if it's better to run the Ram Air Intakes or if it's better to stick with the stock intake tubes.

MoGunz

Established Member
Well looking at the heat shield i cant really argue that. At this point my question becomes is the crusher intake worth the money or should i buy the jlt tube or keep the factory one?

cj428mach

Established Member
I have a jlt ram air intake tube and gt500 coupler im looking to get rid of.

MoGunz

Established Member
I've always wondered if what you're experiencing with the high IAT1's negate any benefits of the Ram Air Intakes. I know they flow more air than the stock intake tube but I wonder if the hotter air negates the increase in flow.

Another thing I was told is that the hot air is actually pulled under and away from the car when it's in motion. Also the vents in the hood take some heat away. I never tested this, I was just told by my tuner and I would like to know if it's better to run the Ram Air Intakes or if it's better to stick with the stock intake tubes.
I honestly dont like the idea of a filter in my fender well and the cold air tube looks small. From what ive read the ram airs produce more hp. So i guess the temp increase doesnt negate functionality completely. So many variables its a hard to make a decision. I could be wrong but ive been reading a lot about the intakes. I just want something that will feed to the TBs potential.

Soap

Established Member
Is it worth it?

Really won't know for sure until this weekend. Here is a side by side comparison though. Crusher with 123mm MAF housing on left versus JLT RAI with VMP 100mm MAF housing on right.
IMG_20180606_214157.jpg

--Joe

MoGunz

Established Member
Really won't know for sure until this weekend. Here is a side by side comparison though. Crusher with 123mm MAF housing on left versus JLT RAI with VMP 100mm MAF housing on right.
View attachment 1503482

--Joe
Thanks for the photo. What supercharger and what method are you using to test? I am hesitant to spend 370 on the crusher intake if it makes little to no difference. Just want to make the right choice now before i spend 600 bucks on a tune. I would appreciate the results. In essence if the 2.3l cant eat everything im sending it all becomes a waste of money.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I would have definitely gone with the crusher intake and slot style MAF sensor if it was available when I did my remote tune.

I'm not a huge fan of the small looking jlt rai I'm currently running.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MoGunz

Established Member
I would have definitely gone with the crusher intake and slot style MAF sensor if it was available when I did my remote tune.

Hate to say it but i think you guys might be right. I get the feeling im going to want more hp at some point. I might as well handle this now.

01yellercobra

Established Member

Is that for aesthetic reasons or because you're close to pegging your current set up?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Is that for aesthetic reasons or because you're close to pegging your current set up?
Mainly because I feel the jlt intake is to small. Running a big gt500 tb and having a small intake tube seems like a restriction.

I'm running a ba2600 and my maf counts are only upper 800's.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Mainly because I feel the jlt intake is to small. Running a big gt500 tb and having a small intake tube seems like a restriction.

I'm running a ba2600 and my maf counts are only upper 800's.

Our setups are almost identical. I'm like you, that JLT looks so little on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread