Intake bolts

96snake719

Established Member
Alright guys I need you to school me on lower intake bolts for a 96 cobra and where they go... There should be 12 bolts correct? I have 4 shorter ones with studs, 2 longer with studs, 2 fully threaded, and 2 partially threaded... What am I missing!? I'd really appreciate your help on this guys so I can get my never ending nightmare solved once and for all! Thanks

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
two go on the inside, I can't remember where the others go. Are you trying to take the intake off?

Tickle

Established Member
There's actually 10 iirc. 2 of them are probably for the IMRCs, they will go on the sides near the middle.

There are 2 in the middle, you need to use some medium(blue) loctite on the threads or they will come out and cause a major vacuum leak. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago and its not fun.These are regular looking bolts, you should be able to tell which ones they are based in how they look.

There are 4 different looking bolts for the sides, the threaded extension is for the wiring harness mounts/plastic fastener caps.

There are 4 other standard bolts for the front and back.

Make sure you torque them in the right order per a Haynes or Chilton or Ford manual.

Last edited:

96snake719

Established Member
thanks guys that was all pretty helpful! the reason I ask is because I think I have traced back my never ending list of problems to a vacuum leak somewhere... and a good size one at that. Car would always run like crap in the low rpms and idle, and like a top above 3k or so...

I pulled the intake off the other day and just wanted to double check everything before I put it back on... Has there been known issues with intake and imrc gaskets leaking on these things? because when I pulled the intake off every bolt was definitely solid and not loose, even the center ones... I really couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, the only thing I can think is the gaskets were just leaking... god Id hate to get it all back together and have no change!!!!

96snake719

Established Member
I was stupid and never put a vac gauge on it last year when it was running because I thought I had other issues... But after going through everything Atleast 3 times over I could never solve the problem so now I'm determined to think its vacuum related... The egr and sai stuff is all gone as well as the pcv stuff I have breathers on both valve covers... I have one hose coming of the intake that goes to the fpr and the bov and that's it... Am I missing Somthing important?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
It is a good bet it is the two center bolts on the 96 intake, if they are loose they cause a vac leak. So you can button it back up with new gaskets since you have it apart and at least rule that issue out if it returns.

96snake719

Established Member
you know that was my original thought... but those two center bolts were just as tight as all the other ones... and that was TIGHT! so Im just wondering if it was the intake gaskets somehow or if Im missing something important...

Users who are viewing this thread