Intake - 12" filter, heat shield... who makes one?

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
I was considering buying an adapter and 12" filter, but that means I'd need to fabricate my own heat shield - does anyone sell a kit that comes with the heat shield (and doesn't cost $200) or does anyone sell JUST a heat shield?

Looking for a good quality heat shield too...

:beer:

~Berj

CobraRLC

Established Member
Amazon Racing sells the adapter separately and you can find a local distributor that sells 12" AFE filters. I personally purchase the AR stage 1 kit. By the way Berg, I installed the Stinger last night, all I can say is it is AWSOME........
Berg are you going to make the SVT DAY in Fullerton....?

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
I think I can make it, but not sure yet - I was looking at getting just an adapter and filter (k&n or afe) but that still means I need a heat shield!

I'm picking up my stinger later today, can't wait to get it installed!!!

~Berj

CobraRLC

Established Member
It looks like you should just go with the AR Stage 1 kit and mabye later purchase a 12" AFE.......

Pyro

Established Member
I had a 9" open ended filter from SFPHQ without a shield. Then I bought a sheild from RPM Outlet and put it in. I swear that I lost power. When I checked out what JDM and Nitrous Pete were using, I noticed that they didn't use a heat shield. They were both on nitrous so that may have solved their hot air intake problems. Nevertheless, I took off the heat shield and I swear it feels stronger. I dont see how a 12" filter would help unless you are pumping some serious psi. I think a 9" or 10" filter is all you need when you consider the air flow restrictions of the MAF. The MAF sensor is your limiting factor once you go larger than a 10" filter. It's like getting 42lb injectors for a stock 5.0 motor. You will not utilize the full 12" of the filter unless you are highly modded. Good luck.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Most available shields don't fit right with the long filter. I ran my best ET with the Amazon shield with the shorter power stack filter, headlight out.

This summer I've been running the longer powerstack with no shield, since I couldn't get the shield to sit in a way that i thought it wasn't restrictive.

I just switched to the new K & N aircharger which I modified extensively.

The reasons I decided to try it, and pictures are here:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4539

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
Most available shields don't fit right with the long filter. I ran my best ET with the Amazon shield with the shorter power stack filter, headlight out.

This summer I've been running the longer powerstack with no shield, since I couldn't get the shield to sit in a way that i thought it wasn't restrictive.

I just switched to the new K & N aircharger which I modified extensively.

The reasons I decided to try it, and pictures are here:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4539

I think the key factor is that your headlight was out. I heard that makes a big difference. Very nice K&N system by the way!!

Users who are viewing this thread