Insurance - Forced Gambling or Communism?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
That is exactly right. Got hit by a lady a couple years ago, she got out said man that sucks I dont have insurance, you can take me to court but I already have 6 judgements against my paycheck so you will have to wait about 5 years to start getting paid. Have a nice day, got back in her car and drove off.
Sounds like a really good reason to have insurance.

sleek98

Established Member
Sounds like a really good reason to have insurance.

Shitty/good part is that it didnt do alot of damage, so it would have only saved me 200 bucks if I filed and paid my deductible, which I would have gotten back if the insurance company every got paid from here. I doubt it would have been anytime soon, I didnt want it on my record and cause it to raise my rates so I took care of it myself. Sold the car about a year later.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Shitty/good part is that it didnt do alot of damage, so it would have only saved me 200 bucks if I filed and paid my deductible, which I would have gotten back if the insurance company every got paid from here. I doubt it would have been anytime soon, I didnt want it on my record and cause it to raise my rates so I took care of it myself. Sold the car about a year later.
A lot of people have taken to self insuring. They increase their deductibles to $5000 or more on their homes and carry higher deductibles on their auto as well. The logic makes sense, they only want insurance for when it really, really matters. A lot of people think it should cover everything from windshields to tow bills but they are the ones that end up paying huge amounts of money over the years.

I had a customer with a $10k deductible on a $3M home, he asked me if he should be looking at $50k deductibles and I talked him out of it because there was not a lot of premium change for that number. He ended up having a $170k claim the next year and thanked me for saving him $40k.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
That is exactly right. Got hit by a lady a couple years ago, she got out said man that sucks I dont have insurance, you can take me to court but I already have 6 judgements against my paycheck so you will have to wait about 5 years to start getting paid. Have a nice day, got back in her car and drove off.

Did you call the cops about a hit and run?
I would do everything in my power to see her in jail/more shit on her head if she said that and left.

Coiled03

Established Member
actually its the only thing that gives you a chance of getting paid back from uninsured motorists.

if there were no mandatory insurance statues on the books in most states then you would have no leg to stand on it criminal court when the judge orders restitution for the damage they did while drunk and stupid and totaling ur car!

otherwise you wud have to go to civil court to get any of ur money back and that costs money, time and its usually a very long wait.

Yeah, thanks Captain Obvious. It's still extortion.

The only way you could convince me otherwise is if it were illegal for insurance companies to deny claims. You pay in, you should be covered when you need it. As it stands, all they do is collect money, then look for any way possible to deny claims.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
USAA just put myself and the lady out to dry. Went from about 200 a month for full coverage on two 10 year old cars to 243 a month. No changes in accidents or tickets or anything.

Geico quoted me 142.

USAAWent from 300$ a month for 2 cars and renters to 400$ a month. No claims whatsoever

sleek98

Established Member
Did you call the cops about a hit and run?
I would do everything in my power to see her in jail/more shit on her head if she said that and left.

She gave me her name and work address, she was pulling out of work when she hit me. So they said it wasn't a hit and run and that I needed to take her to court.

From looking at her facebook it seemed she moved jobs about every 3 months, my guess is to avoid the garnishments.

A lot of people have taken to self insuring. They increase their deductibles to $5000 or more on their homes and carry higher deductibles on their auto as well. The logic makes sense, they only want insurance for when it really, really matters. A lot of people think it should cover everything from windshields to tow bills but they are the ones that end up paying huge amounts of money over the years.

I had a customer with a $10k deductible on a $3M home, he asked me if he should be looking at $50k deductibles and I talked him out of it because there was not a lot of premium change for that number. He ended up having a $170k claim the next year and thanked me for saving him $40k.

Dam thats a high deductible. I do have high (atleast to me) deductibles on all our cars. Saved a decent chunk of money over the years from it too.

AAG

Established Member
Shop around every time you policy is up for renewal. There's no good reason to stay with one insurance company long term, especially if they keep increasing your rates.

Jefe

Established Member
Insurance is based on the law of large numbers and there is no way they can go customer by customer and tailor coverage to your needs. You would be shocked at what the bean counters go through to calculate a rate today versus 5 or even 10 years ago.

Injure someone in your car or on your property and you will see the benefits of insurance real fast. The average serious injury here in AZ from an auto accident is over $75K in medicals bills, rehab, lost wages, etc. 99% of people don't have half of that in liquidity

Insurance is on the rise nationwide because of actuarial healthcare costs, increased labor/parts costs and vehicle values. A $250 bumper is now $1,000+, a $300 windshield is now $800 thanks to all the safety equipment now installed.

Price shopping is only half the battle because you will get what you pay for

CV355

_
Established Member

Eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, but... I think I'd be ok with that.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
I'm shopping around, with Erie now, and so far Geico & State Farm were the same or more $.

nxhappy

Established Member
Actually, the problem is all the ****ing illegals hitting and running. The good citizens better have ****ing insurance, because when you get hit you bet your ass it will be an illegal that doesn't speak English or have car insurance. No joke.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I too have long thought that "one" policy should cover multiple cars.

Say I only have a 40K Shelby, and pay $200 a month. If I buy a civic to keep the miles off the Shelby (as OP said I can only drive one at a time) and the Civic is of less value. I should not pay more. It should remain $200 a month.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Insurance is a scam to drain middle class. Look at everything you buy and consider that a part of that product is the cost of insurance to protect the company from lawyers. It's the same reason healthcare is so expensive. Insurance should really be called blood sucking lawyer protection. It is no different with cars. Every time someone gets a minor fender bender, they grab their neck and head to the lawyers.

That being said, I just backed into a car a few months ago. It cost my insurance company $1650 and then they doubled my rates. I shopped around and found a company that online raised my rate by $100.
It is what Obama care is, you get it! Middle class stuck for paying the bottom class of society.

blah blah blah

tistan

Established Member
It is what Obama care is, you get it! Middle class stuck for paying the bottom class of society.

blah blah blah
No I didn't get obamacare and f that fine. I work for a lot of doctors I pay cash and make sure nothing goes on my medical record. Every doctor I have used has been more than willing to keep everything off the record.

Voltwings

Established Member
We've had it happen twice now where my wife was hit, got the other person's insurance information, but they just never answered the phone when the insurance called them. Without their statement, the insurance company said they cant find anyone at fault and denied our claims.

Despite the fact we had pictures of them, their vehicle, their insurance information, somehow we couldn't prove what happened ... right.
The second time this happened, after 2 months of them saying they couldn't get a hold of the lady that hit us, i threatened to contact the Texas board of insurance because it isn't MY job to track this person down, it's the insurance company's job. Wouldn't you know it, that person answered the phone 30 minutes later ... Suddenly they had a statement and were going to fix our car. Bunch of Jackasses.

Users who are viewing this thread