Installing UPR o/r X

weatherman

Established Member
Tomorrow I am installing my UPR o/r x at the dealership I work for, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions to make the install go as smooth as possible. I do have MIL eliminators going on the car as well.

2004 whipple cobra
stock manifolds
bassani stainless exhaust

any help is greatly appreciated

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
PB Blaster and maybe a torch. It's about as straight forward as it goes. Just make sure to jack the exhaust up before you tighten it so it doesn't droop.

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
Make sure you have access to a new pass side manifold gasket ( ford OEM is best ) just in case the stock one turns out to be damaged.

Also I had trouble with the driver side not tightening down far enough...a quick trip to NAPA solved this as they sell a kit that has manifold bolts that do not have the "shoulder" the OEM bolts have , which allows the bolts to be tightened down further making for a good seal around the ball & socket

Otherwise just take your time and enjoy it when you are done!

weatherman

Established Member
Thanks guys,

I will be at a ford dealer doing it so I may just get the gasket before we do the install...

is that napa kit specifically ford the 03-04 cobra?

weatherman

Established Member
Make sure you have access to a new pass side manifold gasket ( ford OEM is best ) just in case the stock one turns out to be damaged.

Also I had trouble with the driver side not tightening down far enough...a quick trip to NAPA solved this as they sell a kit that has manifold bolts that do not have the "shoulder" the OEM bolts have , which allows the bolts to be tightened down further making for a good seal around the ball & socket

Otherwise just take your time and enjoy it when you are done!

went to napa and they looked at me like I had 3 heads...is there a specific kit or something I should ask for?

weatherman

Established Member
Can anyone tell me if the NAPA 600-1819 will work on the passenger side aswell...I didnt tell the tech that the NAPA bolts were only for the drivers side and we snapped a stock stud in the passenger side manifold

I did buy 2 sets of the NAPA studs

jdgt03

Established Member
Boy i should have read this yesterday, i put my upr x on today, and broke a stud and had to use a bolt extractor to get it out. Then i went to Ford to get a gasket and get it out of the package and its broke!! Luckly Felpro makes one and AZ had one. Then i get it on and the pass side still leaks, not real bad but with the windows up its very noticible. Any suggestions? Didnt mean to hijack your thread but its the same subject. Thanks.

weatherman

Established Member
Boy i should have read this yesterday, i put my upr x on today, and broke a stud and had to use a bolt extractor to get it out. Then i went to Ford to get a gasket and get it out of the package and its broke!! Luckly Felpro makes one and AZ had one. Then i get it on and the pass side still leaks, not real bad but with the windows up its very noticible. Any suggestions? Didnt mean to hijack your thread but its the same subject. Thanks.

I used the NAPA bolts and they worked well. It was hard to tighten the passenger side because of the starter. Anyways we got it done I cant really tell if there are any leaks yet. I am fairly happy with the sound, a little too much rasp/glasspack at open throttle, at low throttle it sounds very mean.

As far as the sheared bolt...the tech spent about 2-3 hours drilling it out and finally got it, he did rethread the manifold because of the damage caused from the sheared bolt...

boatcop1

Established Member
lol mine is going back to my exhaust guy tomorrow because of this relentless drivers side leak. Sounds horrible. Next time I will just go Bassani and be done.

jdgt03

Established Member
lol mine is going back to my exhaust guy tomorrow because of this relentless drivers side leak. Sounds horrible. Next time I will just go Bassani and be done.

Did yours come with the adapter for the driver side? It takes up some space and seals better. I left mine out accidently and it leaked bad, put it in and that side doesnt leak but the driver does..:bored: gonna try some washers and a different way of tightning this weekend. Just noticable in the car with the windows up.

Users who are viewing this thread