installing shocks, struts, and springs advice

wyldechild54

Medusa
Established Member
How hard is this job for a novice with BASIC tools? I have an 01 with IRS. Are there any issues I should be worried about? thanks

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
Not too hard. I just changed my springs,struts and ball joint in the garage with the basics. Had to rent a tool for the ball joints but was able to install the front springs without spring compressors. A good socket set and some wrenches are all you need. ( I actually used my air tools on some nuts but wasnt necessary). Ive done the rears before but on a lift. tuesday I'll do the rear and hope I dont need to rent anything.

99vertcobra

Established Member
Front springs aren't to bad. In the back I had to use aspiring compressor. Shocks are simple. But front struts can be Bitch cause stock ones have a slit for a screwdriver at the top to hold the strut still while u in bolt it if u can zip it off with an impact gun it is easier. Or what I do is take my chisel and attach vice grips to it while a friend holds that I unscrew the nut

Sveet01

Established Member
All metric. Make sure you have 18, 23, and 24 Metric sized deep wells. I would rent a spring compressor just in case you run into any snags. My first time I for sure needed a spring compressor, but the later times I didn't (cut more and more off ;D). Go to American Muscle.com and click on a Cobra Spring link and go to the install instructions. YouTube might have them I dunno. It's not too hard for the most part. Just tighten everything to German torque specs--guten tight!

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Make sure you put loc-tite on the lower 4 strut bolts. Also torque them to 150 ft-lbs. Otherwise, there's a good chance they might fall out going down the road; just ask me how I know.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I would recommend hitting the bolts with some WD-40/PB Blaster an hour or so before you start wrenching. I'm swapping my struts and forgot how much of a pain in the ass some of those bolts/nuts can be.

wyldechild54

Medusa
Established Member
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I should be starting shortly. Something will most likely go wrong so I will keep you guys posted.

Users who are viewing this thread