Installing mgw short throw and I suck

Ballsgt

Established Member
So I was trying to remove my old shifter to install the mgw, but the tab that holds the shifter arm on the passenger side of the transmission is seized and won’t come out. I tried lubrication spray and using heat and eventually the tab broke. So now there’s just a hard rod left through the hole. The driver side one came out with ease but the passenger side would just not come out. Any suggestions?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If the tab that rotates to lock is broken, then lett8ng it sit penetrator oil should help free it up.

After that its a matter of prying it out

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Did it break off clean at the pin? Can you post a pic of what came off?

merkyworks

Established Member
Are you saying you broke the tab on this part? If so you can buy a replacement from Ford.
35766-4a793d0893daac55f0a35312e53f9e91.jpg

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm sure he's going to need a new one, but I think he's more concerned with removal for the time being.

I've been giving this some thought. I'd loosen the exhaust from the flange at the exhaust manifold and put a jack under the transmission. Remove the cross member and lower the transmission until the supercharger is almost touching the firewall. That's about as low as you're going to get it. You may be able to get a punch over the top of the transmission or from the cabin, although that might not be possible. See if you can push it out. If it's frozen or rusted it's going to take force. Try using something to tap on the punch and see if it will come out. If not, you may need to drop the transmission. I've not heard of this before.

barspen

Established Member
If the tab is completely broken, the pin should slide out, but I believe the rotation of the clip pops pin out slightly. So if there is any way to rotate what is left of the tab, it will probably make it easier.

PB Blaster and wiggling the shifter assembly so there is no binding will help. A small, angled tool to push the pin might provide a little more leverage too. Not much room in there. Good luck!

50stangpower

Established Member
These suck. I know what you are going through. Soak it and take a break. Come back and go at it again. Eventually you will succeed.

Also if you broke the entire tap off you should be ok. If not try to use a pic and a screwdriver for leverage to flip it up

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... Not much room in there. Good luck!

There's actually quite a lot of room, if he removes the transmission support. I took mine off and was able to get all up in there with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread