installing longtubes myself?

stangnut

WETAHDED FRICKIN' NOOB
Established Member
i want to install my bbk longtubes myself,but i'm wondering if i should? i am somewhat mechanical and stubborn and i think i can do it. my issue is-- by removing the k member and steering rack, ami going to throw my alignment all to hell? i live about 30 miles to town so i will need to drive it in to finish the job. tie rod ends and steering rack come out as one unit? i know i sound naive,but i do have some experience with other cars. struts,tie rod ends and brakes mostly. its ok if the car is down awhile and i wouldn't really have anyone to help me. i read the write-up in the how-to section and although it does seem complicated, i would like to try it. just wanted some feedback :beer:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
You will have to get an alignment. As long as you mark what you are taking off it shouldn't be to far out to get into town.

zx3focus

Established Member
I have had my k member down 3-4 times and I have not gotten an alignment. I need one I guess, but it isnt a huge deal at all.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
I put my BBK headers in without dropping the K-member, or removing the wheels or splash gards, etc. I just took the motor off the mounts and jacked it up and shoehorned those bitches in there! Yeehaw!

However...

I wouldn't recomend it. It might not have saved any time. Also, I did it at work with a lift, transmission jack, professional tools, etc. etc...

Don't forget to put the dipstick in before you tighten the driver side header down. Or you'll end up destroying it trying to get it in.

stangnut

WETAHDED FRICKIN' NOOB
Established Member
NVENEM8U, just realized that it was your post in the how-to. thanks!! ok so in the how-to, it was suggested that you shouldn't have to touch the brakes. how true is that? anything to make it easier. and what about the guy who said (if you have a vert,plan on cutting the spring on reinstall) can't imagine that would be true. thanks for all your help-everyone:banana:

zx3focus

Established Member
You have to drop the k member, that means brakes, steering rack, sway bar blah blah. Then lower the motor down until you are able to get to the header bolts. You have to take the drivers side motor mount off also. It is a job and its nice to have someone that knows what they are doing. It is also nice to use a engine hoist to hold the motor up instead of holding the motor up by the oil pan, it will most likely dent the pan like mine is. Needless to say I bought a hoist the next time I did it.

stangnut

WETAHDED FRICKIN' NOOB
Established Member
i don't think i'm ready for all that,so how much should it cost to have them installed by a shop? any ideas?:shrug:

187import

Established Member
I think most shops would probly charge in the $300 range. With my first cobra about 6years ago, i paid someone to put them on and it was about $300. The next car i did it myself but then again i worked at Ford and had all the tools i needed and help:) The last time around i pulled the motor to put in a new engine and well put the long tubes on while the engine was out! Its not the most fun, but not the worst job. But you have to get the right tools!!! Best of luck on the install!

stangnut

WETAHDED FRICKIN' NOOB
Established Member
between jacking the car up high enough and all the work involved, i think i'll just pay to have it done. 300.00 bucks or so isn't bad considering. i would have liked to do it myself for the satisfaction,but it's probably best to pass on this one. thanks to all for your suggestions:beer:

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
You might keep in mind...if you do it you will know it was done right. When I pulled my engine the headers were a hack job. They had bolts missing and who ever did it did not keep the stock studs. I know the K member can be a job but it is not that bad. As for alignment.....Mine tracks good but I will get a new alignment when I replace the tires. I just do not let anyone turn a wrench on my cars....JMO

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
do it yourself, great satisfaction in doing so. I did mine in my garage off my back by myself.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
I think most shops would probly charge in the $300 range. With my first cobra about 6years ago, i paid someone to put them on and it was about $300.

Times have changed man, I couldn't find a single shop that was willing to put my longtubes on for less than $600. It seems that shops are now aware of the fact that putting them on these cars is a total bastard and takes a shitload of time and cursing.

ironman_jk

Established Member
I would recommend dropping the K-member. Long tube headers can be installed without dropping the K-member as long as you don't run into any problems. I ran into problems with the studs and had to do it the long way...dropping the K-member. Here is an excellent site with step-by-step instructions on how to install Long tube header while dropping the K-member. (http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/ltinstall.shtml) I'd say, read thru these instructions and if you feel comfortable then go for it. And, you will need an alignment when finished. Driving 30 miles with a bad alignment shouldn't hurt your tires that much.

gt40lx

98slobraaaa
Established Member
cheapest shop around here is 550 for the install.. But i did a set of them myself on jackstands and used an engine hoist to hold the motor.. Not too bad of a job really jsut have to have patience for the bolts lol

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
I agree with ju015dd--do it yourself and save a bunch of cash. Plus you can have the satisfaction of saying you did it yourself. I also did mine laying on my back in my driveway(no garage). Its not that hard, just time consuming.

Users who are viewing this thread