Installing JBA LT... questions/help

jakhammer

Established Member
A buddy and I are about 3 hours into my JBA LT install and have all the stock hardware out. We have the car on ramps in the back and stands in the front. K member is not dropped and we dont plan to. I now have questions on what to do as we reinstall everything.

First is the gaskets. I was planning on using the stockers. Car only has 9700 miles on it and I see most reuse them. Is this a good idea.

Second I assume I should use the O2 bungs in the collector vs the primary? That was my plan. How the heck do I get the drivers side O2 to connect to the plug? Do I need an extension harness?

Third is the header studs. Im using a 12pt 6mm and all they want to do is round off. Is this normal? Do I really need to remove them if we just rock the motor side to side?

Forth, anyone know what the nut thread is for the header studs? My car ate one and I forgot to grab one before I left my buddies... and its 5am and 35 miles away...

Any other helpful hints?

So far this has been a decent project. not bad at all

Nuar

Established Member
The studs are a reverse torx, the 12pt socket is a quick workaround, but it is risky like you just noticed. See if you can find some reverse torx sockets or ratche\ing wrenches for that. It will make life a lot easier.
as far as the gaskets, people do reuse them, but in my opinion, spending a few extra bucks now to prevent possible issues and repeatimg the job a few months down the road...would be way worth it.

the o2 sensor connectio s, DO NOT USE WIRE EXTENSION HARNESSES, those have caused a few motors to go boom ...
Simply follow the original plugs back to the harness and then the harness around the bellhousing and unclip all the clips around the bellhousing. That will give you all the length you need.

Nuar

Established Member
Removing the studs is not neccessary from what some people say, in my case there was no other way. I tried shifting the motor over with a friend and a pry bar, jacking it up, loweting it down. None of that helped. In the end i had to pull out a few studs. Once the header was on, i put them back in and re used the original nuts.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
The studs are a reverse torx, the 12pt socket is a quick workaround, but it is risky like you just noticed. See if you can find some reverse torx sockets or ratche\ing wrenches for that. It will make life a lot easier.
as far as the gaskets, people do reuse them, but in my opinion, spending a few extra bucks now to prevent possible issues and repeatimg the job a few months down the road...would be way worth it.

the o2 sensor connectio s, DO NOT USE WIRE EXTENSION HARNESSES, those have caused a few motors to go boom ...
Simply follow the original plugs back to the harness and then the harness around the bellhousing and unclip all the clips around the bellhousing. That will give you all the length you need.
This. I didn't have to remove any of the studs

scott_0

Established Member
I removed one stud (the rear most stud on the passenger side) but really didnt need to honestly, and I reused the stock gaskets as others have successfully done, with your low mileage, I dont see them being an issue. and as said, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use extenders, you will be able to pull the harness down from the top of the bellhousing, its a bitch, but doable.

jakhammer

Established Member
Thanks for the help. I would say the car will be done tonight but it wont. My failure to grab a nut means its tomorrow before I can button it up... except i work 12hr shifts and wed and thurs are my days to work. We will get the O2 harness moved and the headers hanging loose tonight. Might install my MGW tonight since that still needing installed. Just have to see how I am feeling. I have a sever case of draggin ass today.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
A buddy and I are about 3 hours into my JBA LT install and have all the stock hardware out. We have the car on ramps in the back and stands in the front. K member is not dropped and we dont plan to. I now have questions on what to do as we reinstall everything.

First is the gaskets. I was planning on using the stockers. Car only has 9700 miles on it and I see most reuse them. Is this a good idea.

Second I assume I should use the O2 bungs in the collector vs the primary? That was my plan. How the heck do I get the drivers side O2 to connect to the plug? Do I need an extension harness?

Third is the header studs. Im using a 12pt 6mm and all they want to do is round off. Is this normal? Do I really need to remove them if we just rock the motor side to side?

Forth, anyone know what the nut thread is for the header studs? My car ate one and I forgot to grab one before I left my buddies... and its 5am and 35 miles away...

Any other helpful hints?

So far this has been a decent project. not bad at all

If you will take both mounts loose and jack the motor up and use a prybar to push the motor over while someone slides the header in you won't have to remove any studs. That's what we did but we were on a lift. I reused stock gskets and have not had one leak. I think I was at 15k miles.

Last edited:

jakhammer

Established Member
I got there tonight and said screw it... Dropped the K member. Then moved the motor side to side and they slid in like nothing. Some of those nuts suck ass to get to... but they are in and tight. We called it a night at that. Hard part is done. Also moved the O2 harness. We didn't work hard at all and took a lot of breaks. Another 3 hours down.

Nuar

Established Member
nice man!
Yeah dropping the kmember makes it go much quicker.
Just make sure you get an allignment once its all buttoned back up

scott_0

Established Member
dropping the k-member ideally does make life much easier, but I dont like disturbing shit unless I absolutely 100% have to, we left my k-member in place and still finished in little over 8hrs total. but as said, get an alignment soon after getting the install done. good luck man!

jakhammer

Established Member
All done and back home. Headers, off road h, lethal oap, jlt cai, and a starter Bama tune all done. Wow it rips and sounds so much better. Glad it is all done.

jakhammer

Established Member
Shaun will get a call when I'm done. Bama is good til then. I'm running a 91 octane tune with 93 in the tank. I want some cushion. But yes, AED Is my end game tune. That's been my plan from day 1. Bama to start so I can get new tunes as I mod, aed when I'm done.

Steveespo

Established Member
Great job, any pics? Dropping the K made it easy for sure. I marked the perimeter of the mount points and used a drift pin like Ford calls for in the shop manual to reinstall, no alignment issues. I check camber and toe myself with Longacre tools.
Steve

jakhammer

Established Member
No pics. Just in and out. But my K member went right back home no problems. Right in the lines I marked. I need to get a video.

Nuar

Established Member
No pics. Just in and out. But my K member went right back home no problems. Right in the lines I marked. I need to get a video.

Yeah so did mine... didnt pull, everything seemed ok... and theeeeeen I was looking for two used pirellis in good condition to replace my 1/2 slicks in the front lol

Go do an alignment... its cheaper than 2 tires.... Speaking from experience here lol

jakhammer

Established Member
I'm calling today to make an appointment. I want to get mt 20s put on and not grind them up... unless it's a burn out.

Tomcat5157

Established Member
Literally just finished my install a few hours ago. Unclipping the harness on the bell housing will absolutely give you enough wiggle room. All I did was Jack the motor up a little bit and got everything out and in with absolutely no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread