Installing H & R Race springs ????

Glfbaluhwakrguy

03 SB Cobra
Established Member
Hey guys I got a question for ya!! I just got my H & R race springs today and started the install. I was taking my time, and only had enough time to get around to installing one for today. I plan on tackling the rest tomorrow. The thing was that all of this seemed much more difficult than i thought it would be. I've done numerous searches and can't find much info or write ups on how to install springs. Does anybody have one? The only spring i have in so far is the front right, and I just removed the rotor, and set the caliper aside. Then I jacked up the control arm a little bit and removed the tie rod, the sway bar link, and the strut from the tower. Then I lowered the control arm. After this i yanked and pried for what seemed like ever and finally it came out. Then installing the new one seemed to be a similar challenge until finally i figured out to hold the stock isolator in the strut tower and force the spring it. It went in much easier that way.

So my questions are basically does anybody have a write up for this?? and Does any body have any suggestions for the rears???? because that's my next obstical!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

acrod

Established Member
It sucks no way around it. It is a very frustrating job. With me the rear springs were the hardest, those damn suckers just didn't want to come out.

Glfbaluhwakrguy

03 SB Cobra
Established Member
acrod said:
It sucks no way around it. It is a very frustrating job. With me the rear springs were the hardest, those damn suckers just didn't want to come out.

Yea, i knew it wasn't going to be easy! I mean, i've always done all my work on my own and i'm really good with a wrench, but damn! These suck. Oh well, i should do the other three today, hopefully the rest will go much faster.

98tacoma

Banned
I'm doing the same install in about a week I hope its not too difficult. I also have Hotchkis C/C plates too (nice looking pieces, BTW). What makes these so tough to install vs. say a '96 (which I did about 3 years ago). I know my '04 has an IRS but it took two of us maybe 3 hours to do the '96?

Brad

Banned
As far as getting them out without having to yank on them for 2 hours, an internal spring compressor and in impact wrench is your friend. Just blast away at the compressor nut once the internal compressors are locked into place and you can pretty much just grab the sping with one hand and remove it. Then slowly back the spring compressor nut out as you decompress the springs. I also would suggest putting a chain on the compressed spring for safety.

Glfbaluhwakrguy

03 SB Cobra
Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys! I do plan on hooking up the compressor today and getting out the air tools that should make it a lot easier. I also just picked up some ghetto spring compressor from a friend that should help, it's kinda scarry though cause i've heard horror storries of accidents with cheap spring compressor, but i'll just be careful.

ShelbyGuy-- I did make sure that i covered the first hole and not the second, thanks for the tip though, i've read that that is important.

Brad

Banned
Glfbaluhwakrguy said:
Thanks for all the help guys! I do plan on hooking up the compressor today and getting out the air tools that should make it a lot easier. I also just picked up some ghetto spring compressor from a friend that should help, it's kinda scarry though cause i've heard horror storries of accidents with cheap spring compressor, but i'll just be careful.

ShelbyGuy-- I did make sure that i covered the first hole and not the second, thanks for the tip though, i've read that that is important.

Don't even bother with anything ghetto, drop into autozone and pick up an internal compressor, it's free to borrow, just go to the desk and ask them.

SC2003

Banned
the rears are easier then the fronts. For the back four bolts and the springs drop out. Do a search on here I know there is a write-up.

Glfbaluhwakrguy

03 SB Cobra
Established Member
I did end up getting an internal compressor from auto zone, worked great! The rears are being a B*tch though!! It seems like i've tried everything SC2003 Would you mind specifying which 4 bolts make this so easy, that would be awesome! Thanks!

SC2003

Banned
Glfbaluhwakrguy said:
I did end up getting an internal compressor from auto zone, worked great! The rears are being a B*tch though!! It seems like i've tried everything SC2003 Would you mind specifying which 4 bolts make this so easy, that would be awesome! Thanks!
Okay my buddy had the same problem. We thought it was hell too at first.
Here is how to remove the back springs. :thumbsup: (Picture of bolts to be removed.)
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259369
remove the exhaust, shock bolt, irs cradle bolt and the irs will swing forward and drop the springs out.

Glfbaluhwakrguy

03 SB Cobra
Established Member
SpectorV said:
what do you mean first hole but not the second hole?

We were referring to the holes in the lower control arm where the shock rests. There are two little holes in there, and from what i understand your supposed to cover the first hole with the spring but not the second.

Brian97vobra said:
Oh man i'm not looking forward to this once i order them.

Once it's all said and done, i don't think it's that bad!

SC2003 said:
Okay my buddy had the same problem. We thought it was hell too at first.
Here is how to remove the back springs. (Picture of bolts to be removed.)
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ad.php?t=259369
remove the exhaust, shock bolt, irs cradle bolt and the irs will swing forward and drop the springs out.

You know, I think I did read that before somewhere, but I thought you were referring to something else. Yea, that's exactly what I tried to do, I wound up just dropping the whole IRS anyway. I have exhaust on order, which should be here in the next week or so, so the cars not moving off the jack stands until at least that gets here so I think i'm going to order some other IRS stuff while I have it out of the car. Now the springs won't be a problem with the whole thing out :beer: !!

Thanks again guys for all your help! I really do appreciate it!

acrod

Established Member
I dont know why I had such a problem with mine then. I took the IRS cradle bolts out and shock bolts and the springs still didn't want to come out.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If you have to use spring compressors to lower your car your doing it the hard way. If you jack your car up enough in the front, take out three caster camber bolts, remove single bolt holding brake line, as well as the other bolt securing that single bar(sway bar?) on both sides and lower entire assembly and pull the spring out with your hand. replaced mine several times. Just make sure you dont scratch your fender when you pull the strut out of the fender well. Then use jack to raise it back up and reasemble-Shane

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread