Installing Engine, Transmission & LT's at once. Top or Bottom?

GM2Ford

Established Member
I'm getting ready to connect the transmission to the engine, but I haven't decided yet if I want to either put it in through the top or bottom.

I have much experience going through the top with the engine and transmission together, but never with long tubes as well...

I'm interested in going through the bottom because I want to assemble the engine complete together with the supercharger, accessories, pulley's etc.
  • The car is sitting on semi truck jack stands with 3 additional "2 by 6" small pcs of wood on each jack stand to be raised higher.
  • I have a 1000lb table jack that I was going to use to jack the engine, trans, and LT's.
  • I'd have to drop the tubular K-Member, assemble it to the engine, then bolt everything up.
The bottom seems like it's way more work than going through the top.

How hard is it to install the engine/trans/LT's from the top with the steering shaft removed?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
what long tubes? Ive heard people say Kooks wont clear but cant confirm. When I saw that a couple times I went out the bottom

GM2Ford

Established Member
what long tubes? Ive heard people say Kooks wont clear but cant confirm. When I saw that a couple times I went out the bottom

I have Kooks. I have also heard the same thing, but I heard it was because the steering shaft was in the way? Not sure though.

GM2Ford

Established Member
For everyone that is suggesting the "bottom." Please inform me how you did it and what tools/lifts/jacks/tables you did or didn't you have access too while going through the bottom.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the steering shaft goes between the primaries on Kooks, its in the way and has to be removed top or bottom.

I did it my garage with 10 ft ceilings no problem (with hood on).

I took the bumper cover off and header panel out (almost broke the header panel when a chain shifted so just to be safe). I ran a steel bar through the crash bumper and put a chain on it (Ive seen other people use big lifting straps). To put it back in I used my engine hoist on the chain to lift the front up (rear end up on stands too), rolled engine/trans under using trans jack and 2 wheel dollies. Once under car lowered body most of the way down put my jack under the K member and 2 of us raised the motor/trans up and bolted it in place.

basically minimum 4 jack stands, trans jack, floor jack, 2 wheel dollies, engine hoist to lift/lower car

01yellercobra

Established Member
I helped a buddy put his engine in with long tubes. I think they were Mac. It was a 99 so it had the T45. We had some issues getting the headers around the K member. It was a stock K member though. I do know if we had a leveler life would have been much easier.

That being said I'd probably go from the bottom next time so I can assemble everything then lift it up.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I put my motor in from the top. I have kooks headers, which are longer than Macs. The headers did scrap the firewall a little and the harmonic balancer dented my radiator a little(doesn't leak thankfully). I suggest removing the radiator. I bolted the trans up after the motor was in the car. I did all the work by myself.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I have to do outside and limited tools..

I have bbk..and pulled them to pull just motor up..

I did install with blower..from top..found with out lower intake there is more room to work..

For me next time I'm going to pull trans back remove bell housing and try with headers on..

My issue is dirt driveway..have to do straight pull up on engine than push car back..I left trans in place last time..

I had enough room to do clutch with only pulling trans back under car.so I think I should be able to do same thing so I can still hang trans to roll car back..

I think going out bottom you need to open ac sysyem..adds to costs

And you touch front end which will need alignment check at least.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I went out the bottom and will be going back in the bottom. There was plenty of room when I came out.

I'll have a fully assembled motor with kooks long tubes as well.

I have the car on the highest notch jackstands. bumper removed, hood removed and obviously the kmember.

Use an engine hoist to lift up the from of the car by the bumper support(using ratchet straps and a lot of towels to make sure nothing gets scratched)

Once the car is in the air,
I place the motor and tranny on a furniture dolly and slide it under the car from the passenger side. Once it is in place, I slowly lower the car back down on to the jackstands.

At this point, I grab my engine and hoist it up into place and use the engine support bar from.harbor freight to keep it in place while I hook everything back up and install the member.

It would be much easier if I had a lift, but this was works pretty well.

I just got a new phone or I could upload some pictures for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Aaron175617

Established Member
I have removed the engine out of these both ways. With the trans attached I would go bottom. only really draw back is you need to disconnect the AC lines which does not seem to be a problem for you.
I have removed and installed the engine, trans and K-member assembly through the bottom using a floor jack, bottle jack, jack stands and go-jacks.
I have a video on this page that I posted yesterday called "03 Cobra build DSG " that has some pictures.
My jack stands were not tall enough for the bumper and bottom of the car to clear the engine with all four tires off the ground so I had to lower the rear down and that raised or tilted the front up high enough to roll the engine and trans under it.
After the engine was back under it I raised the rear of the car a bit and lowered the front so the car was high enough to get under it but low enough to raise the engine, trans and k-member assembly with the floor jack and bottle jack and bolted it in.

I did not remove any body panels or use an engine hoist.
I can post more pic's if need.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I did remove the pass side wheel well liner for more clearance, rolled the motor out the side with the intake in the wheel well opening

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
You don't need to remove AC lines or compressor to drop from the bottom. I had plenty of room. It will help if you have an extra set of hands to hold it out of the way.

And as mentioned above, remove the liner for extra clearance

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread