installing borla stingers yourself?!?

kcast

LEO
Established Member
sorry if this is a repost, but i was wondering if i should take my car to meinke (sp?) or if i should install them w/ my buddy, we do have a lift...only thing im worried about is lining up the tips, plus im really picky about my car...

Neal

Untouchable
Established Member
you'll need more than a lift. you'll have to have a way to get the old mufflers off and if you don't have exactly the right size inlet and outlet you'll need an expander to get the pipe to fit more than likely.

if you're picky about it I'd take it to someone but I don't think I'd take it to meineke. take to a local shop that does performance exhaust. they will know more what they are doing than the meineke guys.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Originally posted by Neal
you'll need more than a lift. you'll have to have a way to get the old mufflers off and if you don't have exactly the right size inlet and outlet you'll need an expander to get the pipe to fit more than likely.

if you're picky about it I'd take it to someone but I don't think I'd take it to meineke. take to a local shop that does performance exhaust. they will know more what they are doing than the meineke guys.

:??:

It's four nuts and four hangers. Pull the old junk off and slip the new stuff on. No cutting or expanding any pipes are needed.

Neal

Untouchable
Established Member
if theres 2 mufflers there 4 clamps and should be 8 nuts? unless it has a different type clamp on it form the factory which I dont think it does. how many times have you done this? your old mufflers unbolt and slip off?

Last edited:

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Um well I had to saw my old exhaust of. I had my car on jack stands. So if you have a lift it may be different. You may have to lower the axle a little to get the old units out in one piece. The new stuff is in 2 pcs. Aligning the new exhaust is easy. You can bolt the exhaust so the tips don't stick out so far. Oh wait if you have a Cobra it will be much easier.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Oh I thought he had a cobra. My bad. It's been a while since I had my old GT, but I had to cut the pipes off by the axle and unbolt the rest. :)

Neal

Untouchable
Established Member
"but I had to cut the pipes off by the axle and unbolt the rest."

thats a little different than just four bolts and four hangers and slip it off. you'll have to have a reciprocating saw to cut it off clean. having a lift should make it easy to get to but without the saw your stuck.

kcast

LEO
Established Member
well the manufacturer told me that it was a straight up bolt on system, im thinking ill just put it on myself, ill be more proud of it when i get done w/ it and if i have a problem, i know the guy at menieke and he does all the high perf. cars in town, (does good work too)....thanks guys...

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Make sure you have a mandrel bender on hand. It may be handy if you find your GT is in the 2% of the cars where the Stingers just don't fit quite right. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread