installing a nitrous kit soon, couple questions?

hdmlnium1

Established Member
I just bought a nitrous kit off a member here on the forum.
I was planning on doing either a cobra jet intake or maybe the Boss 302 if the Cobra jet one falls through.. I know they say not for nitrous use but what is all of your opinions?
I am looking to get the most power out of my car and run the nitrous at the track and every now and then on the street. But for those times when someone wants to play and the bottle is off or empty..lol I was wondering the best route to try to go.
my mods now are gutted cats, boss 302 h-pipe side pipes no restricter plates, GT500 Axle back, carbon fiber airaid intake, and a 91 octane tune.
So what do you all think is my best choice to go?
Thanks, Bill

hitmix300

Established Member
I run on a stock manifold. I have seen it done on a boss manifold before also. I would use whatever one you want personally. As long as your tuner knows what's going on you should be okay. As far as power comparison and what not I have no idea. I certainly know the coyote loves nitrous though...

NitrousExpress

Established Member
I just bought a nitrous kit off a member here on the forum.
I was planning on doing either a cobra jet intake or maybe the Boss 302 if the Cobra jet one falls through.. I know they say not for nitrous use but what is all of your opinions?
I am looking to get the most power out of my car and run the nitrous at the track and every now and then on the street. But for those times when someone wants to play and the bottle is off or empty..lol I was wondering the best route to try to go.
my mods now are gutted cats, boss 302 h-pipe side pipes no restricter plates, GT500 Axle back, carbon fiber airaid intake, and a 91 octane tune.
So what do you all think is my best choice to go?
Thanks, Bill

Both of those manifolds work fine with nitrous. You should talk to BBR about their Boss manifold :)

Blow-By Racing and Nitrous Express Prepare for Coyote Modified | NMRA

Check it out.

-Garrett

hdmlnium1

Established Member
Thanks Garrett.. im going the Boss 302 intake route for sure now.. and I ended up buying the Coyote plate system off you this morning.. so ill only be using the extras from the kit I bought off a member here and think between the boss 302 intake and a 125 shot from the NX plate kit it should run strong.
Thanks,
Bill

NTXRockr

Established Member
I run a Boss mani with a Nitrous Outlet plate kit, works like a charm. I have friends running it and the NX kit too, plus a couple running a direct port setup. I personally feel like the plate hits harder initially but the direct port lends to more safety - that is, being further down the intake tract it is less likely to backfire due to fuel puddling or lack of air velocity, plus the individual tuning ability for each cylinder.

If I were in your position, and money wasn't necessarily a limiting factor...I'd protect my investment and run a direct port on a Boss or CJ intake, your pick. The CJ will be more expensive up front ($1400 for the intake, a new CAI and SCJ throttle body vs $400 for a Boss mani) but it will gain those precious few HP numbers that the Boss won't AS LONG as you have a purpose build n/a motor - ported heads, longtubes, cams, valve springs, e85, etc. - that's pushing over 500whp already. If not, you won't notice much of a difference between the Boss and CJ on a stock motor with bolt ons. The direct port will keep you from splitting the intake from a backfire, and the great thing about the Boss/CJ designs is it allows the nitrous lines to be tucked away for a sleeper setup or simply space management under the hood. Direct port also allows you to dial in each cylinder precisely versus a cumulative charge that is unevenly distributed from the manifold like a plate or nozzle, so you should see a slight HP advantage with it. The downsides to a direct port: costs to put it together (by a reputable shop or yourself), costs to tune it (it takes a little longer to tweak each port versus a plate or nozzle), and having to drill your expensive manifold. That setup would give you a great n/a setup off the spray, and allow you to safely use a good amount of nitrous when you wanted/needed it.

I'm eventually going to add a direct port system to mine: either a single nozzle to run as a second stage with my plate, or sell the plate and run a dual stage direct port.

Users who are viewing this thread