Installing a 2lb lower , do i need a 3.20 alt pulley ?

gonz03term

Established Member
Have a lower pulley kit on the way , it comes with a 4lb ring , but i am going with a 2lb ring instead .. Do i need a 3.20 alternator pulley for a 2lb lower ? Or would it be good to have one , but not 100% necessary ? I need some advice ...Thanks

c_mart_28

Established Member
The general consensus is that you will need one. The stock pulley nearly overdrives the alternator with just the stock lower. I just bought one myself and the best pricing I found was at D'Agostino.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I've been running my 2# setup for over a year with no issues from the alternator. I have a 4# ring sitting here and will definitely install an alt pulley when that is installed.

gonz03term

Established Member
I've been running my 2# setup for over a year with no issues from the alternator. I have a 4# ring sitting here and will definitely install an alt pulley when that is installed.

I figured it wouldnt hurt with just a 2lb, but theres a dude selling a metco 3.20 alt pulley for $30 shipped .. Was thinking of doing it anyways . Thanks , thats just the kind of info i was wanting to hear ....

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I would run a 3.2 Alt pulley even with a stock lower. I have a Metco Lower, but with the stock size ring for now, and with the 3.2 alt pulley I have noticed that when comparing my datalogs (and lots of them), my voltages are more consistent with the 3.2 pulley. The lowest they have dropped is 13.2v, and with the OE pulley they would tank down to as low as 11.8v at times. Our alts are really overdrive bad from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread