Installing 4# lower, and something's not right...

Brandon03SVT

Established Member
Well, I finally am putting a lower pulley on my car. I got it all buttoned back up yesterday and get it started. When I look at the lower pulley while the engine is running, the whole thing (lower ring and hub) are moving. Not necessarily "wobbling", but when looked at from the front it's moving about 1/16" left to right. I gave up. I had enough for one day.
This morning... I take it off and reset it. I figure I had something on incorrectly... Same thing.
I take it off and rotate it to "clock" it differently.... same deal.
Does everyone else's aftermarket lowers do the same thing? I couldnt imagine how much weight it would be slinging around a 6500rpm!!

black 10th vert

Established Member
I would imagine that you could lose a belt at high rpm too! I haven't put mine on yet, so I hope that doesn't happen to me!

Brandon03SVT

Established Member
Well... I'm about to put the stock lower back on and go KB 2.6L or Whipple. I won't have to worry about crank breakage that way anyway. Currently shopping...

Iron Fist

Established Member
My Metco 4lb had a slight wobble. I removed the hub and took .003" shim stock and placed it between the aluminum hub and the balancer parallel with the screws and retightened. Fixed the problem.

I am eventually going to rework the stock lower pulley and mount a 4lb equivalent to it, and file the metco in the trash.

black 10th vert

Established Member
My Metco 4lb had a slight wobble. I removed the hub and took .003" shim stock and placed it between the aluminum hub and the balancer parallel with the screws and retightened. Fixed the problem.

I am eventually going to rework the stock lower pulley and mount a 4lb equivalent to it, and file the metco in the trash.

Will a 4# ring clear the stock cage? That would be an excellent plan if it would work, as then you would have the benefit of the extra boost, without adding stress to the crank.

Users who are viewing this thread