Installing 4.10s... Correcting speedo.

97cobra1

Established Member
Like title says, i'm putting 4.10s in the car while it's in getting the rear end redone.

How do i correct the inaccuracy of the speedo? I'm going from 3.73s from a previous owner, and i'm unsure of how he went about correcting the difference when he installed.

What are my options?

fast02gt

Established Member
use a speedo gear i believe its the white 21 you need. look on 50rest.com they have it. people will tell you "oh it will get chewed up" or "it doesnt work" I have it and it works fine plus its cheaper than a speedcal and less of a hassle.

97cobra1

Established Member
Thanks, are you sure it's the white 21 tooth? Is it still going to be a little bit inaccurate? By how much?

phinhead34

Established Member
I had the white one, it was a little bit off on 17" wheels but nothing major. If you want it to read 100% accurate you need the speedcal. It takes 10 min to change the speedo gear.

CJK440

Established Member
The speedo gear depends on what tranny is out of. The output shaft has a different tooth count between cobra and gt. 4.10's and a cobra t45 will require a white gear.

I just took out a white gear when I swapped to 3.73's and the teeth were pretty worn after 5k miles. No chips but they were thin.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

97cobra1

Established Member
i ordered the 23 tooth for the time being. if i wasn't replacing the LCAs with MM parts i'd get the speed cal now. couple of other things above a speedcal priority wise right now.

Thanks for the help though ya'll. Much appreciated.

VMC

Established Member
I use the "speedometer" app on my iPhone when I drive the Cobra lol ...be ready to install the speedcal soon. From my experience, the 23 tooth gear wore out pretty quick when I was daily driving it.

Dogshark

Established Member
I use the "speedometer" app on my iPhone when I drive the Cobra lol ...be ready to install the speedcal soon. From my experience, the 23 tooth gear wore out pretty quick when I was daily driving it.

Good idea. Not sure how accurate that is, but I like the idea.
Who cares exactly how fast your goin anyway. :poke:

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Hang on to your factory gear if it's not torn up. If you get a speedcal later you can swap it back in and it will be more reliable than the higher tooth gears.

Users who are viewing this thread