Installed Subframe Connectors... now have pop noise from rear

Albert SVT

Established Member
I had a pair of Hans subframe connectors installed (professionally by a well recommended shop on a drive-on lift) and noticed a pop noise coming from the trunk/rear fender area whenever driving diagnolly over small inclines/driveways. The noise is actually more like a knock. Like someone is tapping the rear fender with their knuckle. Anyway, I heard it a couple times a day after the install and then it went away for about a month. Well, today it decided to come back and is popping/knocking even more that before. In case this matters, the weather has changed dramatically these past couple days (rainy and cold).

PS - I had a similar pop noise before the SFC was installed but it was slighter and sounded more like a "tink" rather than the current "knock".

Any ideas or suggestions?

Hye

Established Member
I have noticed my car making an extra few popping noises since its been cold and raining this past week. Not sure if this helps or not. I think it could possibly be weather related.

jimh

Established Member
It could be one of the swaybar bolts on the rear. They are known to loosen and cause a popping sound entering/exiting off camber drives. May be more noticible now because the chasis is not flexing as much so the sway bar is being torqued more. There's a TSB for it. You can just go under and tighten the bolts. It's not the end link bolts it's the ones up by the trunk.

Mrcobraguy

Established Member
Or they might have welded the end of it which you should do just weld it on the sides becuase it will flex. Put it up on a lift and check it out.

dezracer

Your all wrong. :nono: ...Stiffening the chassis on these cars changes the structual dynamics and often results in stored energy from bushings, flex joints,tierods etc. coming out in the form of a pop sound usally in the rear.Sometimes installing SFC makes it go away,and sometimes it brings the pop to the surface.

These cars flex...the 05 will not!!!!

vipergts281

Established Member
I actually noticed today that my pop noise came back. I had Ford tighten the IRS bolts almost a year ago. Never really heard the noise again. Now all of the sudden I hear it alot. It made the noise about 10 times today on my 40 minute drive home from work. And most of pops came when I was going around a turn....not on an incline or decline like normal.

Very interesting. I am going to have to look into that. Thanks for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread