Installed Shelby Quad Exhaust need some advice

FreddieG

Established Member
I installed the 2013 quad exhaust on my gt mustang and I was hoping for a little deeper sound. It definitely sounds better than stock, but it has a little popping sound that I really don't care much for. I was wondering if adding a h-pipe or the boss quad exhaust setup or removing resonators would help? Any advice to make my exhaust more deeper tone and take out the pop/raspy sounds?

Thanks

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
You already have an H-pipe from the factory. Removing the resonators will make it louder, but not likely any deeper. It will also increase the pops. The GT500 exhaust is not what I consider deep. If you want something deep, the MAC and the JBA are both deeper than the GT500 and similar in price. I would imagine you modded your valence for the quad tips though, or got the GT500 valence. The Boss quad H would probably help you get more sound, especially with the baffles out.

Mike

bryantaylor

Established Member
Wait at least 500 miles of so. Most mufflers have a break in period. I have had my gt500s on almost a week and they are already a tad louder.

FreddieG

Established Member
Yes I modded my valance for the mufflers. I will let them break in for awhile and see how they sound. I may try the boss side exhaust later on. I would imagine that more exhaust choices will come out for the shelbys or I can always switch out valances out for the boss one and run duals.

FreddieG

Established Member
I would love to run a o/r h but we have emissions test here and don't feel like dealing with switching it out every year. Maybe the boss exhaust will work.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I would love to run a o/r h but we have emissions test here and don't feel like dealing with switching it out every year. Maybe the boss exhaust will work.

Every year? I thought it was after 5 years for new cars? Must just be that state

FreddieG

Established Member
Ill get some pics up for sure after I get it cleaned up...as for emissions for new cars it is after 2 years for Texas and every year after that.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Ill get some pics up for sure after I get it cleaned up...as for emissions for new cars it is after 2 years for Texas and every year after that.

I'd like to see some pics too.
Out of all the states with emissions laws, I would not think that Texas would be one of them....:shrug:

FreddieG

Established Member
Only some cities within the state have to follow the emissions rules. Basically the highly populated areas.

NTXRockr

Established Member

Really? I'm from Denton and as far as I knew Denton county stopped doing hard emissions testing (sniffer up the pipe) a couple years ago but now just do the yearly test by plugging into the OBDII and getting the info that way. I'm assuming that with the o/r h-pipe you must not have cats and/or o2's to be worried about it? Maybe they've changed it since I moved back in July? I have my registration and inspection due this year finally but since I'm military I don't have to do inspections while out of state.

FreddieG

Established Member
I could be wrong as well..I am trying to remember what they did but its been so long since I had a car inspected..lol. I just didn't think you could get by with a o/r h pipe here in Denton and pass inspections...has anyone had success.

FreddieG

Established Member
Update after driving about 500 miles and retightening them they seem to have gotten pleasently louder and much much less pop!!!

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Update after driving about 500 miles and retightening them they seem to have gotten pleasently louder and much much less pop!!!

They will burn in a bit and the tone changes for the better. GT500s work best with an H-Pipe too, just to let you know. I have an X and they are somewhat weak with an X. Keep the H.

Users who are viewing this thread