installed my pilot B, have a question

GTBill

Established Member
i beat my pilot bearing in with a rubber mallot. i used BP blaster to lubricate. at first i couldn't get the angle right, after failing at that a couple times i got it to where it looked good and beat the crap out of it. it's almost completely in, with about 1/16" between the lip of the bearing and the groove for it to sit in. is this "good enough"? i hate to use that term with something so delicate, but idk how the hell this shit is supposed to go in.

i read a couple threads on INSTALLING (not removing) the pilot bearing and there wasn't much info.

im working on pics, but having technical difficulties. ill have one up tonight

thanks for any info!

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
You need one of >>These<< to install it. It will butt up against the ourter race so you don't damage the bearing when driving it in.

GTBill

Established Member
i don't get it? it's not damaging the outer surface thats my problem. it's lining it up correctly so it goes in smoothly.

i called RPM transmissions and they said freeze it

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
The bearing needs to be supported on it's outer race. When you just hammer it in, if the force is against the inner race you damage it. These types of drivers put all of the force on the outer race only.

As far as freezing it, get some dry ice from the grocery store and pack the bearing inside some (break the large chunks of dry ice into smaller pieces with a hammer and use welding gloves to handle the pieces of dry ice and the frozen bearing). We freeze bearings at work, but we make our own dry ice. It works pretty well. About 10 minutes should do it.

timbo3282

Established Member
i don't get it? it's not damaging the outer surface thats my problem. it's lining it up correctly so it goes in smoothly.

i called RPM transmissions and they said freeze it

Get the tool and do it the right way.

Freezing it and hitting it with a hammer will damage the bearing because you will inevitably put some pressure on the center of the bearing and not just hit on the outside race.

There is no need to freeze the bearing. Spend the $20 for the tool to do the job the right way and you won't regret it or have to redo the job.

I've done a few pilot bearings, always used the install tool and never had an issue with damaging a bearing during install.

This is the definition of penny wise dollar foolish. Not worth $20 to have to redo the job.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I know this is a dead thread but there is no need for that tool. All you need is a socket that will go over the inner race/ needle bearing. Then your hitting on the outer race. Nothing to it!

Users who are viewing this thread