Installed my FIPK, OMFG!!!!

svt2003cobra

Banned
Man, i never thought this thing would be this good!! Before i never got more than 8psi of boost, now i get 10 almost everytime. The SOTP feel is crazy and the blower screams now. This is the best mod i have done yet as far a power goes. I would recommend this to anyone with an 03 or 04 cobra.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Fuel Injection Performance Kit. And yea u should check your A/F one guy dynoed, and withthe FIPK and a catback had like 405 rwhp, but his AF was like 12.5/1 in the upepr rpms, which is no good. Get it tuned with a wideband.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Here's a link to K+N's site:
http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-2545

Here's a pic of Wicked03's car [first pic I found with a K+N]
IMG_0346.jpg

I think the FIPK is a great mod and well worth the $$$.

Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by Tucker in this thread...FIPK DYNO

...kits like the FIPK and others make power by fooling around with the MAF position. Not by getting more air to the motor. Think about it. The FIPK is just a filter on the MAF. Yes there's a shield and a magic donut thing, but really think about it. How can a filter, basicly JUST a filter make 40RWHP on any car? Can't happen--- SAFELY.
For anyone who has installed an FIPK: Exactly what do the installation instructions say regarding the MAF? I thought you just popped the new filter in place...but I'm obviously missing something regarding the MAF. :shrug:

-Greg

flyn high again

Established Member
Here's the instructions [you need Adobe Acrobat to read]
http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-2545.pdf

Personally, I think it's the greater volume of air flowing into the engine that gives the power boost. 40rwhp also seems exaggerated or a freak to me. I would say it's more like 20-25 hp max on most cars. The computer adjusts for the greater air flow and that's where you get your increase in power.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Thanks for posting that instruction link. I just read them and it appears that the FIPK installs just like every other CAI out there, right? So why do I read comments like this...
...kits like the FIPK and others make power by fooling around with the MAF position. Not by getting more air to the motor.
Am I missing something? The MAF is removed and reinstalled untouched according to K&Ns instructions. What are people referring to when they talk about the HP gains due to "fooling around with the MAF position?" :shrug:

-Greg

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Originally posted by Top_Fuel
Thanks for posting that instruction link. I just read them and it appears that the FIPK installs just like every other CAI out there, right? So why do I read comments like this...

Am I missing something? The MAF is removed and reinstalled untouched according to K&Ns instructions. What are people referring to when they talk about the HP gains due to "fooling around with the MAF position?" :shrug:

-Greg

It is pretty much in the same location ... it is turned however a little bit ... connector on TOP ....

I like it though .. I has to suck in more air then the stocker :)

Crowley

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Crackerballer
Fuel Injection Performance Kit. And yea u should check your A/F one guy dynoed, and withthe FIPK and a catback had like 405 rwhp, but his AF was like 12.5/1 in the upepr rpms, which is no good. Get it tuned with a wideband.

I think 12.5:1 is pretty good without a tune. Upper 13's is where I would start to watch it, but if you are running 93 Octane you should be fine even at those levels.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by Crowley
...it is turned however a little bit...connector on TOP...
OK... Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm still puzzled as to how rotating the MAF will somehow cause it to read a false amount of air flow through the sensor. That's essentially what some are saying in that other thread.

-Greg

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
I would highly advise on checking out your a/f just to be safe. I didn't think my car would be lean (and I still don't know what to think), but the sniffer says I am. All I have done is a magnaflow catback. I would think that you would be even leaner than me. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't the 04's supposed to be richer than the 03's?

Dyno.JPG

flyn high again

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
OK... Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm still puzzled as to how rotating the MAF will somehow cause it to read a false amount of air flow through the sensor. That's essentially what some are saying in that other thread.

-Greg

There were some stalling issues with the CAIs that mount in the fender that have a 90* bend in the inlet tube right before the MAF. Guys were thinking the position of the MAF might have something to do with the stalling. I think later concensus is that the bend in the inlet tube of the fender mount CAIs is what causes the problems not the position of the MAF. From personal experience, the FIPK rotating the MAF has done absolutely nothing bad with my car. The K+N FIPK has added noticeable power, makes the blower sound even louder and better and is a great mod IMHO. The only stalling or rough running issues I find is if you leave a gap somewhere past the MAF and unmetered air gets into the intake. It's important to make sure the FIPK is properly gasketed, seated, bolted, and clamped in place.

flyn high again

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I think 12.5:1 is pretty good without a tune. Upper 13's is where I would start to watch it, but if you are running 93 Octane you should be fine even at those levels.

Most guys try to keep their upper RPM A/F in the middle to high 11s. Some adventurous souls go into the 12s. 13s would be dangerous.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
flyn high again said:
...Guys were thinking the position of the MAF might have something to do with the stalling. I think later concensus is that the bend in the inlet tube of the fender mount CAIs is what causes the problems not the position of the MAF...
Thanks! That clears it up for me. That other thread had me a little concerned about going with the FIPK.

-Greg

dezracer

Maybe someone is talking about the DISTANCE BETWEEN THE TEMP SENSOR AND THE MAF. Ther is mention of this in 5.0 article by SCT tuning.Compare your aftermarket CAI to stock and you will almost always see a difference.

Also when I installed the BBK CAI filter (fender mount)with 90 degree bend I did not have any stall issue but did have idle hunt which can cause a stall under the right condition.Putting the Stock MAF screen in CAI solved the issue for me.There are those that say the screen is not there to protect from incoming debris (highly unlikley)but rather to smooth out the air as it rushes past the MAF.

Users who are viewing this thread