Installed G-Force T-5 this weekend stuck in 3rd out of the box!!!

reyberg

Established Member
Well after having my original T-5 call it quits I sent my tranny off to G-Force. It kind of got lost by UPS for a week. After I finally tracked it down and found it this past Friday we installed it along with a new CF Billet Steel Flywheel and CF DF clutch. Turns out this M!?*ther F@cking thing was stuck in 3rd gear. We didn't find this out until after the install because we had were also swapping spark plugs at the time so there was no compression to tell us it was locked in gear. Also, I am assuming it was 3rd because when on the stands I could slip the clutch just enough to get the wheels turning and at idle it was doing approx. 45mph at 1800rpm. Every gear I went to try was the same outcome and even sadder was when in reverse it would just try to go back and forth. I was so bummed out. Tomorrow (March 28) I am sending back first thing in hopes that they can fix it. What do you think they did to make it stuck in a gear? Has anyone had any experiences like this with them? I hope they take care of me...I didn't even make it 1 foot out of the garage.

sled

Established Member
I had a problem with a tremec, but never a G-force. my old tremec wouldnt shift into 4th under load. after break in one night i ripped on it and it wouldnt go into 4th. i called them and they didnt want to do anything for me. i took the tranny out and a friend looked at it and found some things wrong with it. i called them back and flipped out! they took it back and sent me a new one! i think G-force is a better company so you should be ok.

montanagrog

Established Member
I can't remember whether I read it on GForce's website of on Astroperformance's, that sometimes in shipping that the tranys will get locked into 3rd gear and to check for this prior to installation. GForces are great, and I've never seen a problem on them that hasn't started from poor assembly of the kits (and then blamimg GForce), or a goof up on installation. Call the techs and they are great about helping.

reyberg

Established Member
I spoke with Mark at G-Force today and they are going to fix it. I should have it back by Friday!

reyberg

Established Member
spoke to G_Force again today and now he says Friday or Monday. You would think that as long as I've been out of a tranny (for over two weeks now) they would get a move on things. And them Next Day shipping it should not be a problem since they had to make a claim to UPS for damaged goods. The insurance money should help cover that cost. We will see...I will keep you guys posted.

reyberg

Established Member
Trans number 2 sucks bad locked in 4th gear only 2 more gears to be locked in and maybe will get a good one!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bash: :bash: :bash:

reyberg

Established Member
I have a 93 cobra and I sent my tranny into G-Force and had them install the synchro kit, 26 spline input shaft, and taller 5th gear. The first time they sent it back it was locked in third gear (I believe). The car didn't even make it out of the garage. So I sent it back then the one they sent me this week was locked in either third or fourth. It did make it down the road about 1/2 mile...1st good, 2nd good, 3rd good, 4th good, fitfth wouldn't go in. So we stop and try to go back to 1st, no luck. In fact it wouldn't go into any other gear and we were stuck literally in the middle of the road. It wouldn't even go into neutral! Finally we get it to so it was locked between two gears and can push it back to the garage. So now I am going to see what they are going to do about this one. Also this transmission is being installed by a Ford Technician who has been at it for about 10 years so this is not some shade tree mechanic throwing in. I have a new billet steel flywheel, new CF DF clutch kit, CF throwout bearing, new steeda shifter, and new aluminum driveshaft. I can understand one time the tranny being messed up but twice. I even paid Next Day Air so I could put it in this weekend. I really need to get some miles on tranny and clutch before World Ford Challenge in May. We will see what comes about. Anyone else have any bad experiences or am I cursed?

reyberg

Established Member
Here is a quick update on the situation. Apparently G-Force has had a small machining problem with a couple of their taller fifth gear sets and mine just happened to be one of them. Mike Long called me and apoligized and offered to pay for all of my shipping and labor costs! I have to say that they are taking care of me so far. I will have my repaired trans back by Thursday. I will let you guys know what the outcome is...hopefully the issue is resolved.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
That's the kind of customer service that sets a regular company apart from an outstanding company. Admitting their own mistake and making the customer happy is very important, IMHO...

reyberg

Established Member
Car is running perfect now. The G-Force is a bad mamma jamma so far. It is a little loud but that is to be expected with the heavier duty gears. I haven't had a chance to speed shift in it yet. I only have about 250 miles on the new clutch and flywheel. While the cost of this little adventure were a little more than I wanted to spend, I do believe it was worth every penny. You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get!

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I did some Googling and found that the Tremec TKO was cheaper than having my existing core upgraded from AstroPerformance.

How much should this GForce upgrade have cost (assuming no problems) in comparison to how much a Tremec TKO would have run?

reyberg

Established Member
.75 O/D Gearset $360.00
GFT5022-1 9310 M/S $295.00
GFT295-2 Gearset $1,095.00
SMPK Small Parts Kit $180.00
TOBR-F Ford Retainer $40.00
Labor $250.00
Shipping & Handling $80.00
Total $2,300.00

It should probably be around $2300.00. I went ahead and bought a brand new Billet Steel Flywheel and Dual Friction clutch and Throwout bearing all from centerforce. That ran around $600.00. I figured while I was in there I might as well redue it all. Then I also bought a new Aluminum driveshaft, Pro M mass air, stage 8 header bolts, Adjustable clutch quadrant and shifter from Steeda. If I were you I would call and talk to Tony at Astroperformance. He is very nice and easy to talk to. It is not that I don't think G-Force the company won't take care of you, I just think they have bigger fish to fry than our T-5's. Astroperformance gets all their parts from G-Force except for the talle fifth gear, I think they have their own cut. If you would lke any other suggestions please PM me with a phone number and I will give you a ring.

Users who are viewing this thread