Installed Flowmaster Hushpower Axleback, Airaid CAI, Bama Tune - WOW!

YELL03

Established Member
12/24/10

Fed ex arrived at 1:30pm with my exhaust

I went to a local shop and had them install my Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Back exhaust.

By 2:30pm I was smiling.

It was my 1st mod ordered and installed and would also be my first recommendation.

12/25/10

By 7:30am I was in the garage drinking green tea and starting the install of my Airaid CAI.

By 10:15am the Airaid CAI was installed (allow 15 minutes at the end for the weather stripping seal)

Since I did not install the venturi tube I needed to load my SCT tune from Bama Tunes before the car would run correctly. I loaded the Race Tune.

15 LONG minutes later the tune was loaded, total time for install of the CAI & Tune = 3 hours

I have minimal mechanical ability and read things over 10x before I do each step.

The directions were very good, but I still ran in to a few things that took me some time to figure out.

***If anybody is going to install this CAI & is not mechanical, I will try to post a few of the things that gave me some trouble in a later post, it might save you some time***

After the tune was installed I let the car idle for 6-7 minutes then I turned on the AC and let it idle for another 2 minutes. Then I took a 15-20 mile drive before I turned the car off again, to fill it with 93 octane, all this to let the computer learn the new parameters.

After refueling I drove for at least another hour for fun.

I have to be honest....
This car is totally transformed from Yesterday to today.
I can't say the exhaust added any power, but it sure as heck is worth the $$ for the sound it produces.
The CAI & Tune just makes the driveability 10x better and the power feels like at least 50hp to my butt-o-meter.
The car accelerates so effortlessly at part throttle.
Give it 1/8-1/4 throttle, the front end raises and you are GONE!!!

I'll post more later and try to get some pics before the snow arrives.

Did I mention....

I LOVE THIS CAR!

Yesterday I liked it alot.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
12/24/10

Fed ex arrived at 1:30pm with my exhaust

I went to a local shop and had them install my Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Back exhaust.

By 2:30pm I was smiling.

It was my 1st mod ordered and installed and would also be my first recommendation.

12/25/10

By 7:30am I was in the garage drinking green tea and starting the install of my Airaid CAI.

By 10:15am the Airaid CAI was installed (allow 15 minutes at the end for the weather stripping seal)

Since I did not install the venturi tube I needed to load my SCT tune from Bama Tunes before the car would run correctly. I loaded the Race Tune.

15 LONG minutes later the tune was loaded, total time for install of the CAI & Tune = 3 hours

I have minimal mechanical ability and read things over 10x before I do each step.

The directions were very good, but I still ran in to a few things that took me some time to figure out.

***If anybody is going to install this CAI & is not mechanical, I will try to post a few of the things that gave me some trouble in a later post, it might save you some time***

After the tune was installed I let the car idle for 6-7 minutes then I turned on the AC and let it idle for another 2 minutes. Then I took a 15-20 mile drive before I turned the car off again, to fill it with 93 octane, all this to let the computer learn the new parameters.

After refueling I drove for at least another hour for fun.

I have to be honest....
This car is totally transformed from Yesterday to today.
I can't say the exhaust added any power, but it sure as heck is worth the $$ for the sound it produces.
The CAI & Tune just makes the driveability 10x better and the power feels like at least 50hp to my butt-o-meter.
The car accelerates so effortlessly at part throttle.
Give it 1/8-1/4 throttle, the front end raises and you are GONE!!!

I'll post more later and try to get some pics before the snow arrives.

Did I mention....

I LOVE THIS CAR!

Yesterday I liked it alot.

I'd be carefull with that, most of the time tuners that have a race tune and a street tune require better than 93 oct. i'd give them a call and check

YELL03

Established Member
Sounds like fun!!

Afterwards was fun...

Here is the other part:

OK...

Here are the install instructions for the mechanically incompetent like me....

http://www.airaid.com/InstallationPDF/450-264.pdf

Parts 1-15

1- I did not disconnect the negative terminal
Lifting up the engine cover, it feels like something is going to break, but just use equal pressure on each side, you will be fine

2-
B- Use a pliers to squeeze the clamp
C- Push down (depress) the hose lock tab, the others I don't remember, I think they slid or pulled up, not depressed.

3 -

A- They say slide the red tab, but they don't say which way.
It actually pulls back, I looked at Roush's CAI instructions for help with this.

B- I never did this, to be honest, I never saw it, but it didn't matter

4-
A - I am not mechanical, I had to figure out that you have to force the grommets in to the hole, so that half of it is inside and the other half is outside the hole.
Also, on the fittings, the more round part stays ouside, the tapered in part will be inside the tube.

I spent 15-30 minutes between the grommet and figuring which way the tubes go.

5-
They give you the torx bit, but not the driver, I spent 15 minutes looking for a driver in my garage
A- If you are doing a Bama tune do not install the venturi tube, they have it calibrated for without it.
If you are not doing a tune, install the venturi tube.
If you need to go to the dealer for service and want to put your stock tune back, just put the venturi tube in and the car will run fine.

B- you can't mess up, it only fits one way

6- OK
7-
B - I remember getting hung up trying to figure out what they wanted, but I figured it out, can't remember now though.

8 -
#72s are the largest clamps
Remember when I forgot to do the Resonator tube in part 3, it took me 10-15 minutes to figure out what the Resonator stand was in this part.

9-
The air inlet matched up fairly easily (does not feel sturdy so be careful) and the 10mm bolt took a little fussing to line up. I can't say for sure that the two locating pins seated in the grommets, but they must have if everything lined up.
I probably fussed around for 10-15 minutes not being sure.

10- Remember that the lower number clamp means it is smaller.

11- I fussed around a little longer than I had to getting the tube to fit in to the couplers, there is actually plenty of tube and don't be afraid to push it in there.
A- Use a pliers again on the resonator clamp
B- The hoses all fit back easily

12-
B- Since I forgot to undo the resonator stand, it was a little tight trying to squeeze it in to the air box.

13 - This was very easy, it is actually easy to access.

14- The weather strip was a PITA, after 15 minutes of cursing I found a trick.
It is actually too tight to fit on to the air box, so I found a fairly thick allen wrench and slid it in the weather strip and slightly widened the opening.
It went on easily after that and stays on firmly.

*Don't forget to put the engine cover back on, I did at first*

15- I did not have to reconnect the battery

STEP 16 -

If you did not install the Venturi....
LOAD Your Tune (mine took a good 10-15 minutes to load)

Then:
Start your car and let it idle for 6-7 minutes
Then put your Air Conditioner on and let it idle for 2 minutes
Then drive for 10-20 miles and let your computer learn.

Hope this helps and it is OK to laugh at my mechanical incompetence.

What do you expect?, I have a Medical Degree in Pharmacy

YELL03

Established Member
12-25-10014.gif

12-25-10011.gif

12-25-10009.gif

DIB5.0

Established Member
How is the drone on the hushpower for the auto? You have any video of them? Im am stuck between them and the GT500. Love the look of the Airaid.

YELL03

Established Member
How is the drone on the hushpower for the auto? You have any video of them? Im am stuck between them and the GT500. Love the look of the Airaid.

I don't have any video, but here is what I can tell you.
There is some of what many people would consider drone, but to me I like it.
I had a 2005 Vette with B&B Bullets that droned so badly I removed them in 3 days, the 5.0 is not like that at all.

My daughter has a 2007 Mustang GT with SLP Loudmouths that I love also, but the 5.0 with the Hushpowers sounds better.

Crusing at 70-75mph (1800-2000 rpms) there is a loud hum, but not an irritating drone, at least not to me.
I am sure some people might object to it, but I like it.
Slow down to 65 and it is a quieter hum. Get to 80, again a quiet hum.
Around town, the Flowmasters sound amazing.
Throaty, but deep.

There are lots of spots in the auto tranny where you will be at 1000rpms and get a low frequency exhaust sound, but I love it and don't consider it a drone.
Again, some people might.

Taking off fast from a light or letting it rip to 7000rpms, think of the sound of Steve McQueen's Mustang in Bullitt, maybe a little deeper.

I have to say, this might be one of the best sounding cars I have owned.
Stock it was no where near this nice of a tone.

The Airaid does look nice..Job well done thank's for sharing and ENJOY!!!

Jim,

Thanks, you know I have two left hands when it comes to wrenching!

I hope you and yours have a Healthy Happy New Year.

oneof185

Established Member
Congrats man. Exactly what I plan to do with min. I have mine put up for winter though. So I will buy the parts and wait til spring to put them on...Can't freaking wait!

YELL03

Established Member
Congrats man. Exactly what I plan to do with min. I have mine put up for winter though. So I will buy the parts and wait til spring to put them on...Can't freaking wait!

Thanks, I definitely recommend these 3 mods.

Expecting 4-8 inches of snow tomorrow, I got this done just in time.

Looks like I'll be cruising my son's 2011 VW GTI alot.

YELL03

Established Member
That seems to be an awesome setup. How are the tranny shifts now? Firm and fast?

I did not get to really run it, but the car feels like a totally different car.

The power is increased & right there when you want it and the tranny definitely feels more responsive.

On the 1-2 shift it really kicked the back end out where before it just chirped.

kevinp

Established Member
I have the same tuner/tunes and CAI ordered, looking forward to trying it. I'll hold off on the exhaust until I hear one in person with it.

YELL03

Established Member
I have the same tuner/tunes and CAI ordered, looking forward to trying it. I'll hold off on the exhaust until I hear one in person with it.

You will love the tune and cai, post up as soon as they are installed.

I am sure you will end up with the Flowmaster Hushpowers if you hear them.

Users who are viewing this thread