Installed Barton shifter

Zevox

Established Member
Picked up a used Barton shifter with the normal post bracket last night. Man it was a big to do to install. Luckily the guy I bought it from put it in. The biggest problem was the shifter was the old style for the 2011/12 model so my '14 didn't agree with the new shifter... To fix the problem we used his shift box out of his '12 and it all worked out fine.

On to my shifter impressions, wow this thing is nice. Crazy short throws and I like the notchyness. I had heard people saying it would take a little to get used to but I picked it right up. My only gripe is first gear takes a little more muscle than I think it should to pop in and reverse doesn't spring back to center after you shift out of reverse. The reverse thing isn't a big deal, just pointing it out.

I have a question though. Aside from the ease of installation is there a benefit from having the two post bracket opposed to the normal bracket like I have? I doubt I'll change it either way but just curious.

ExTurbo

Established Member
i think the big difference with the 2 post is the firmness of the shifter. it translates a little bit more noise into the cabin. i have the barton with the 2 post and its not bad at all...love the shifter :)

nowwhat

Established Member
Picked up a used Barton shifter with the normal post bracket last night. The biggest problem was the shifter was the old style for the 2011/12 model so my '14 didn't agree with the new shifter... To fix the problem we used his shift box out of his '12 and it all worked out fine.

I just installed the barton in my 14 and the instructions says to loosen the allen screw on the handle and rotate it 180 degrees and retighten the screw. I watch the installation video instead of reading the instructions and was having problems with Rev, 1st, and 2nd gears. I called barton and they said that they will be updating their video to include this modification for the 14's.

Zevox

Established Member
The shifter I got isn't the revised version where you can rotate the handle for 2013+ models. That's why I had to steal the 2012 shift box, or whatever its called. The install really wasn't bad but since we had to switch so much more than just the shifter and the bracket it was a long process.

zachcrosen

Established Member
I have a used Barton waiting to be installed. I already have the original Barton bracket underneath the car. Do I need to loosen the screws under the car or anything to install this shifter? I can't really find much on how to install it.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I'm running a Barton, it's a vast improvement over the stocker. I upgraded the clutch line and fluid too. I find I have to slap the shifter into reverse, lol.

HP11

Established Member
I have a used Barton waiting to be installed. I already have the original Barton bracket underneath the car. Do I need to loosen the screws under the car or anything to install this shifter? I can't really find much on how to install it.

You will have to lower the bracket to remove your current shifter and install the Barton. I installed the FRPP shifter (Barton) with two-post bracket on my 2013 and it was a very easy install. Installing the rubber shift boot gave me the most trouble. There are many videos out there to help you with the install including a couple from Barton. Just google "barton shifter installation" and a bunch will pop up. Good luck with the install... You're gonna love it!

Users who are viewing this thread