Installed a K&N system this AM

nsreed

Established Member
I installed a K&N system this morning. K&N part # 57-2523-2
Very straight foward. Took about 40 minutes. Fits secure, looks great. No mods needed except to drill one hole for a bracket to secure it. And I had to loosen the clamp and rotate my mass air flow sensor in the duct about 15 degrees so the heat shield is in the correct spot.
You can hear the throttle body now. The growl is not as strong as I had expected but still it's an imrovement.
NOW my FR-500 exhaust should be in next week. Cant wait to get the factory cement filled system off and the FR-500 on!
300 miles on her now and it's more fun each day!
NSR

QUESTION- Has anybody changed thier blower pulley yet??????
Please let me know!
[email protected]
:beer:

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
which pulley are you considering?

What pulleys have you looked at or considered. I heard a stock lightning pulley gives you 3lbs more of boost. Seems to be the cheapest alternative since JDM wants over 3 and 4 hundred dollars for their pulleys. What do you guys think?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Is that the element that goes in the factory housing??? Where is the cheapest/easiest place to get one? What are people thoughts on this new Holley filter element? What I heard about it sounds good, but i have used K&N's on various stangs for almost 20 years, not sure if i want to try something new without some independent results from actual users.
JT

B

blown03cobra

nice thing about the JDM's is one, more boost, and they are also interchangeable so you can tone it down or take it off for warranty work....... I plan on gettin the lower pulley so i dont have to mess with the SC itself

i8u

Established Member
blown03cobra,

When you say tone it down are you saying you can adjust boost? How? Any pulley can be removed. What makes JDM's pulley so easy to change compared to normal crank pulleys? Just trying to understand the advantages of it.

Silver 03 Cobra

nsreed, I guess this is the FIPK kit. I looked it up on K&N's website but no pic. Does this unit bolt right up to the MAF? The MAF is angled downward, does the kit compensate and mount the filter horizontally? I bought a K&N filter just before you posted. I wasn't sure the FIPK would fit. I thought the 01 MAF was level.

I read that some company that makes an inlet called Blowzilla for the Lightning is making one for the 03 Cobra. It is really supposed tp pick up the ponies. I may wait and see how this turns out. After my dyno and the numbers I got, I'm really thinking about headers again. I put LT's on my 01. I'm thinking JBA's this time around so I can keep my x-pipe. From the numbers I've seen, the JBA's are almost as good as LT's for power increases.

Craig99SVT

Went to the Dark Side
Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
After my dyno and the numbers I got, I'm really thinking about headers again. I put LT's on my 01. I'm thinking JBA's this time around so I can keep my x-pipe. From the numbers I've seen, the JBA's are almost as good as LT's for power increases.

They may be close in performance compared to longtubes on an N/A car but not on a blown car. Longtubes should have a considerable improvement over JBA's on the 03' cobra. What are the lightning guys saying about this?

Steve B

Established Member
The silencer that people are mentioning is a rubber piece that goes from the filter housing opening into the fender. Its supposed to eliminate the 'whoooooo' <----poor imitation but you get the idea:D noise of air entering the engine. It looks like a long skinny funnel and (at least on earlier Mustangs) just pops off.

Cat Breath

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
nsreed, I guess this is the FIPK kit. I looked it up on K&N's website but no pic.

Here's the link to the 57-2523-2 pic on K&Ns website:

http://www.knfilters.com/images/FIPK/57-2523.jpg

Now, my problem with this pic is that it doesn't look like a typical FIPK kit, but rather just the air filter itself attached to the MAF sitting in the engine bay. :bash: I know the pic link is missing the '-2' at the end of the number, but the link to the pic from K&Ns site clearly has the '-2'. I also found a price of $164 for the part number on one of the retail sites linked to K&Ns main page, which is way too much for just the silly filter in the link above. We need some real pics posted to this thread!

Cobra'03

Established Member
Doesnt that K&N FIPK pick up hot underhood air?

I just bought a Holley Track Flow which they claim is an improvement over K&N filterchargers - something to do with nmroe pleats, American vs. Asian cotton, etc. We will see - I like it especially since it is Ford Blue - that should add 50 rwhp all by itself. ;-)

And I would bet money that the forensic software in the Ford eng ine control system will retain excessive boost rates, so be careful. with those free boosts from pulleys - it might not be so freee down the road.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
I purchased this kit today from my local Advance Auto Parts Store K&N 57-2523-2. I have not installed it yet. It comes with a large black heat shield, intake cone, 3 feet of rubber sealer like on the windows. I may return it and instead just purchase the regular K&N filter. This kit sets the filter open to the engine heat. I thought it would extend out into the fender well like some MAC kits. Does this thing work or is it a waste of money? Paid $159.99. I have already removed the snorkel from the factory housing. :shrug:

nsreed

Established Member
K&N

The K&N I bought has a heat shield that is not showing in the above link. It works great for me with no problems at all in the summer heat. FYI
NSR

Users who are viewing this thread