Install Headers but keep the exhaust quiet?

need4snake

Banned
So right now I have just a the magnaflow catback on my 04. Stock H-Pipe/CATS etc...

My dilema is...

I want to do a LT header install, but I do NOT want that raspy drony sound that you get after you do most X-pipes.

Has anyone done an LT header install with CATS and kept the exhaust from getting raspy and that dreaded 2500 rpm freeway drone?

I had a bassani off road X-pipe and the bassani cat back on my Mach 1 and it was annoying on the freeway, actually it was just plain annoying to drive. I put the high flow cats in which toned down the raspy-ness but the freeway drone was still there.

Slow99x

Established Member
Short answer, no.
Magnaflow catbacks will cut most of the drone out at highway speeds but that also depends on what your local highway speed is. If you have speedlimits of 75 like we have here then you will have some drone due to the rpms in 6th gear. They are minimal but they are there. When you add longtubes it will amplify that but mAke it deeper. A catted x-pipe will keep the drone down too but it will still be there.

Last edited:

need4snake

Banned
Yep, that's what I figured... oh well. Have to think about this.

The mid-range gains are huge with LT's, but this is my cruising car, I just don't like driving around in cars that sound like dragsters... it cool for a few minutes at the track or goofing off, but other than that its annoying.

Need that electronic baffle that the new Z06's have.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
Has anyone done an LT header install with CATS and kept the exhaust from getting raspy and that dreaded 2500 rpm freeway drone?

of course it has been done .. and yes cats get rid of most raspy sounds that longtubes can provide ... but any off road x can be raspy at times

did you try searching... youtube has several videos of longtubes WITH CATS

my car will have longtubes WITH cats in 2 weeks

Last edited:

moonltgold

I have the catted Mag X and Bassani behind. My headers didn't add that much noise -- they make the most noise when I first start up and then you can really hear them under the hood, but after warm-up in 5-10 minutes I don't hear them as much. But then again I am driving down the road by then.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
I have the catted Mag X and Bassani behind. My headers didn't add that much noise -- they make the most noise when I first start up and then you can really hear them under the hood, but after warm-up in 5-10 minutes I don't hear them as much. But then again I am driving down the road by then.

do you have shorties or LT's?

need4snake

Banned
Well I know from experience regardless of which aftermarket cat back, when you go from stock cat H-pipe to an aftermarket Catted X or H-pipe the noise level goes up exponentially. The stock cats really play a tremendous role in a smooth sounding exhaust. So I guess I'm looking for a nice X or H pipe that will work with Long Tubes that has a nice cat to keep the exhaust smooth and a little more on the mellow side especially below 2500-3000 RPM.

I have two goals here - I want to reap the benefits of Long Tubes, but I just do not want a car that's annoying to drive on the freeway long distances. Plus just going through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc through the neighborhood I want to keep it reasonable. I'm 33 now, I love loud muscle cars, I love my stang, but when you drive it everyday with an obnoxious exhaust it gets REALLY annoying. Its actually perfect the way it is now with the just the cat back... a little rumble, but very reasonable for daily driving, but I want the power without to much sound sacrifice.

I listened to a few youtubes with longtubes, all of them have the more aggressive cat backs (borla stingers or magnapacks) on them or no cats, so its hard to tell what mine would sound like.

Curious if anyone out there has the quiet magnaflow with a nice catted X/H and Longtubes, please post a video..

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
I've come across catted mid pipes with longtubes and magnaflows .. ill look for some videos in the morning .. I will soon have longtubes with stingers .. and because of the noise I will be welding in cats to keep the noise down some

Emwun Garand

Established Member
Yep, that's what I figured... oh well. Have to think about this.

The mid-range gains are huge with LT's, but this is my cruising car, I just don't like driving around in cars that sound like dragsters... it cool for a few minutes at the track or goofing off, but other than that its annoying.

Need that electronic baffle that the new Z06's have.

What you need is a Toyota.

These are race cars....

GodStang

Established Member
Basic Exhaust 101. The freer the exhaust flow the louder it will be. Adding Long tubes and then restricting them with cats will kill the power and kill the whole point of getting them. You want a quiet setup get mufflers that flow the least. The reason why aftermarket cats are louder is because they flow more. Also not sure if some of yall know what drone is. Not all catbacks have drone and the easiest way to get rid of it is get a quality catback. The reason why Long tubes seem to amplify it is because again they flow more making everything louder.

IF you are just going to slap cats on long tubes no point in wasting money on them.

need4snake

Banned
Basic Exhaust 101. The freer the exhaust flow the louder it will be. Adding Long tubes and then restricting them with cats will kill the power and kill the whole point of getting them. You want a quiet setup get mufflers that flow the least. The reason why aftermarket cats are louder is because they flow more. Also not sure if some of yall know what drone is. Not all catbacks have drone and the easiest way to get rid of it is get a quality catback. The reason why Long tubes seem to amplify it is because again they flow more making everything louder.

IF you are just going to slap cats on long tubes no point in wasting money on them.

:(

Sagittaria

Established Member
Kooks Lts, O/R H, Magnaflow catback... NO drone whatsoever. And it's definitely quiet when you're driving around normally. Soon as you put your foot down over 25% throttle... it's LOUD.... like LOUD. So it's a good compromise. Drive around normally and don't attract attention but still have it roar at WOT.

The magnaflows are really good about drone. Honestly they're probably the best about drone. Some say they're too quiet at idle/normal driving though (and I agree a bit) but with LTs and an O/R pipe... they're perfect. I'm going to post up a vid in the cabin to show you what I mean.

http://youtu.be/srGcGeMhtJg

Last edited:

need4snake

Banned
Kooks Lts, O/R H, Magnaflow catback... NO drone whatsoever. And it's definitely quiet when you're driving around normally. Soon as you put your foot down over 25% throttle... it's LOUD.... like LOUD. So it's a good compromise. Drive around normally and don't attract attention but still have it roar at WOT.

The magnaflows are really good about drone. Honestly they're probably the best about drone. Some say they're too quiet at idle/normal driving though (and I agree a bit) but with LTs and an O/R pipe... they're perfect. I'm going to post up a vid in the cabin to show you what I mean.

Kooks Lts, O/R H, Magnaflows 03 Cobra - YouTube

Dude you rock man!!! This is great! Thanks for taking the time to make the video. Really sounds good. Found my combo! Which O/R H pipe is that? Does is come with the Kooks LT header kit?

Sagittaria

Established Member
Dude you rock man!!! This is great! Thanks for taking the time to make the video. Really sounds good. Found my combo! Which O/R H pipe is that? Does is come with the Kooks LT header kit?

Yeah it's two pieces. Like all long tubes they come with a specific shorter mid pipe. I have Kooks O/R H... honestly I'd go for the O/R X though if I had to do it the second time around. It's a little burbly to me at WOT. See video.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JCllO9QyL0&list=UUPQFLVymW1ifuramS1gKRzA&index=8&feature=plcp"]Run4 - Cobra and Lightning Round 2 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Notice how you couldn't even HEAR the lightening and he had a dam loud exhaust. LTs and O/R ftw. I prefer the X's screaming it's head off sound.

I don't think the x would make it drone. Mufflers/cats seem to make the biggest difference. Make sure you spring for FRPP header gaskets and copper sealant on the header side. That kooks crap gaskets last me a year before it disintegrated.

Last edited:

nickSD

First Rodeo
Established Member
I had the same experience as Sagittaria but with Bassani mid-lengths, Magnaflow o/r mid pipe, and Magnaflow catback. It was great. Car was Mach 1 with Vortech at 11 psi.

I hate the drone too. The OP explains the situation very well IMO.

Kooks Lts, O/R H, Magnaflows 03 Cobra - YouTube

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
My car has LT, h-pipe, flow master 44series...and I can't hear a damn thing. Lol it's nice being able to have a fast car and talk at cruising speeds...buy I'll soon swap it.

Users who are viewing this thread