Install 1999-2004 Borla GT cat back on a 1998 cobra

GRUSE

Established Member
Found a Borla catback for 99-04 GT on craigslist. I have searched the web regarding mounting,has any one ever done it? Is repositioning the hanger on the tips is all that's needed to be done or will the pipes need to be modified?

LDC2335

Established Member
To my knowledge, as long as it is for a solid rear axle, all that's different is the rear hangers, and I believe the new edge have an additional/extra hanger for the muffler that you don't have to use.

Last edited:

GRUSE

Established Member
To my knowledge, as long as it is for a solid rear axle, all that's different is the rear hangers, and I believe the new edge have an additional/extra hanger for the muffler that you don't have to use.

Thanks

LDC2335

Established Member
Im pretty sure, but wait for some more replies, or hit Google up for more opinions.

GRUSE

Established Member
Im pretty sure, but wait for some more replies, or hit Google up for more opinions.
Searching vigorously I only found 1 other post on another forum about mounting.
Hoping someone who has done it will chime in.
I think it's a stinger,Is $450 a fair price for the catback tips included?

Infidel4life11

My other ride is a Dr.
Established Member
I don't know about the 99-04 GT's but my 01 cobra the muffler inlet/outlet were on the same side. On all my 87-98s the inlet/outlet are on opposite sides. I really haven't seen any difference between exhaust on 94-04 GT's/94-98 cobras.

GRUSE

Established Member
Picked them up tonight,will install tomorrow or Monday depending on the weather.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I believe the 98 cars use the same rear hangers as 99-04 with the exception of 1 hanger that holds onto the mufflers.

harvboi05

Established Member
ive installed 99+ SLP exhaust systems and i just purchased a 99+ flowmaster exhaust system that fit perfectly on my 98 cobra.

96-97 exhaust tip hangers do not fit 99+ exhaust. 98 hangers = 99+ hangers. i have some unused hangers to the outsides of the exhaust just before the axle loop, but they do not interfere with anything.

GRUSE

Established Member
Update.... The Borla bolted up to the 98 with no modification:coolman:,it has an extra hanger that doesn't get in the way.
Flowmasters the PO installed had rot holes on top where I couldn't see,making it sound like crap.
The Borla's sound nice with my off road Xpipe.

GRUSE

Established Member
need pics and video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! glad it worked out easily for you!!!!!!!!!!
Thank,will try to upload vid as soon as I can.:beer:
First impression is they are no Loudmouth or Magnapack,need to center the tips a little.May cut the tips off and tig in something else.The Borla tips look like mini Bazookas,anyway like it better than the Swiss-cheese flows.
Last day for the season at my local track tomorrow,hope this helps to improve my ET's.

Users who are viewing this thread