Inspection in MA?

elijah

Established Member
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I'm just about to need to get my car inspected (august) and I'm not sure where to get it inspected so that it'll pass. It's an 02 V6 w/ flowmaster 40's, so it's not exactly quiet. Along with that I have 35% tint on the side windows and 20% on the rear and quarters. What are my chances on passing inspection/anyone know of places that are rather lenient?

Thanks,
Eli

tony281sc2

Established Member
you should be fine. my 442 has a pretty loud exhaust on it and the windows are VERY dark. just make sure you go with the windows down. lol

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I'm just about to need to get my car inspected (august) and I'm not sure where to get it inspected so that it'll pass. It's an 02 V6 w/ flowmaster 40's, so it's not exactly quiet. Along with that I have 35% tint on the side windows and 20% on the rear and quarters. What are my chances on passing inspection/anyone know of places that are rather lenient?

Thanks,
Eli

why wouldnt you pass? Doesnt seem like theres anything illegal on your car.

elijah

Established Member
why wouldnt you pass? Doesnt seem like theres anything illegal on your car.

Rear tint is illegal, and modifying exhaust in any way is illegal in MA.

Also, if the guys want to be douche bags they can whack me for 35% side tint, as it would be ~33 or 32% because of factory tint.

I'm in western MA, 10 mins north of Greenfield (40 mins north of springfield)

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
you shouldnt have much problem unless the guy who inspects it is having a realllly bad day. Ive passed for 3 straight years with 20% tint all around and exhaust thats probably a lot louder than yours.

bigjohnson4.6gt

Street Menace
Established Member
im pretty sure rear window tint is legal, you just cant have it on the front, and driver/passenger windows.

On a side note greenstang im actually watching the episode of seinfeld right now with kramer smoking the butt and drinking the beer at the same time

merc lover

Established Member
From the MA website:
Not saying it is the last word but here's what's posted

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/inspection.htm#13

What are the specifications for aftermarket window tinting?

For most vehicles, aftermarket tinting that registers at least 35% on a tint meter on side windows immediately adjacent to the driver and front passenger seats, and side windows immediately to the rear of the operator and passenger, is acceptable. The rear window may be tinted to the 35% level, but the vehicle must be equipped with two outside rear view mirrors. The windshield may only be tinted down to the AS-1 line, which is usually located in the uppermost (6) inches of the windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread