Inspection Help Needed

imeyers302

Established Member
I recently updated the sct tuner software in my x3. I returned the car to stock tune, updated tuner, then reinstalled thw Steeda 93 Tune. Had zero issues. Went to dealer for inspection and car did not pass. The o2 monitors did not reset. Dealer told me to drive car for 100-150 miles. I went on a 175 mile trip this past weekend and this morning the sensors were still not ready for inspection and car failed again. How many miles do you need to drive before the damn thing resets. The 175 miles consisted of highway and around town driving.

Just want to get this done already so I can install the procharger I have sitting on the table for the last 2 weeks.

beef97

Established Member
I had a similar issue. Come to find out my tuner had shut off a few of the sensors and I had to get an "emissions" tune emailed from him. I haven't driven it far yet so my sensors still aren't up and running but as soon as I get it inspected (assuming it'll pass), i'll just reinstall the previous tune and save the emissions tune for next inspection!

imeyers302

Established Member
Thanks. Put in a call to Steeda. Waiting for a call back from their tuner. I am sure it's something simple. Hopefully.

jn2

Established Member
Like previously mentioned, it's the tune. Chances are they turned off the catalytic test and a few other things. This will get the Cel to stay off but won't ever go into "ready" or "passed" status.

imeyers302

Established Member
Like previously mentioned, it's the tune. Chances are they turned off the catalytic test and a few other things. This will get the Cel to stay off but won't ever go into "ready" or "passed" status.

Spoke to steeda, they do not turn the sensors off. Maybe I have to drive it more. Either way, just going to install procharger and work with Lunds tune which does not turn them off either.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Spoke to steeda, they do not turn the sensors off. Maybe I have to drive it more. Either way, just going to install procharger and work with Lunds tune which does not turn them off either.

When you get your tune from Lund, can you tell him you NEED to and MUST pass emissions with the Procharger tune you are getting from him? He might be able to help you some.

likuid_inc

Established Member
As long as no CELs are lit, its hard to diagnose. Doesnt your SCT data log? Maybe it would be good to datalog a ride and the idle, and see where the issues with emissions are and how to avoid them

jn2

Established Member

What did they set your codes to? In HPT I set them to "no error reported" this way the rear 02's will report everything is A okay...

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Already spoke to them. They said with stock cats and headers there should not be an issue. Guess long tubes and off road x are out in the future.

Long tubes may be a possibility with KOOKS long tube headers with their "green" high flow cats. With a correct tune, you should be good to go.
Of course, I would check with KOOKS and your tuner first. Good luck!

imeyers302

Established Member
What did they set your codes to? In HPT I set them to "no error reported" this way the rear 02's will report everything is A okay...

Not sure. All steeda told me was they do not touch the sensors. Did not get that exact info from lund. Been doing some reading on drive cycles after resetting tune to get the OBD sensors ready. Going to try one or two things tomorrow, after that I am just gonna install the procharger and lund tune to see what happens.

Installed torque app and got this.

free jpeg images

Last edited:

Rick14

Established Member
I had the same issue here. ARH long tubes with HO cats. Whippled with a bunch of mods. Evo worked on the car and Lund tuned. 2 years before I went on the machine and failed. All were O2 not ready codes. Spoke with Jon Lund and he basically said he could do nothing. I brought the car to Dan at Realspeed and he dyno tuned the car again. It took me quite a few weeks of driving to reset the monitors. Even though Lund told me the O2 were not turned off I suspect they were. So now I have 2 tunes on the car. Yes I have gone back and forth and every time I use the Lund tune the car won't pass

imeyers302

Established Member
I had the same issue here. ARH long tubes with HO cats. Whippled with a bunch of mods. Evo worked on the car and Lund tuned. 2 years before I went on the machine and failed. All were O2 not ready codes. Spoke with Jon Lund and he basically said he could do nothing. I brought the car to Dan at Realspeed and he dyno tuned the car again. It took me quite a few weeks of driving to reset the monitors. Even though Lund told me the O2 were not turned off I suspect they were. So now I have 2 tunes on the car. Yes I have gone back and forth and every time I use the Lund tune the car won't pass

Steeda checked my tune file and they are definitely turned on. They said the only time they turn them off is when you are running without cats and a waiver needs to be signed for a tune for off road use only. There would be no reason to turn them off I assume on a car with stock headers and cats. Have read some other threads and I think I just need to do more driving. Will see what happens after my ride today. I know realspeed well. They will be my next stop if I can't get it ironed out on my own.

Rick14

Established Member
Realspeed, good people. Dan went above and beyond what needed to be done. Even took my car for a week and drove it to pass. Dyno tune isn't cheap though. Be prepared to spend $750

imeyers302

Established Member
Realspeed, good people. Dan went above and beyond what needed to be done. Even took my car for a week and drove it to pass. Dyno tune isn't cheap though. Be prepared to spend $750

Not quite there yet. Still going to try some driving today. If that does not work, will install procharger with the lund tune. If I can't get it to reset after that, I will definitely be calling realspeed. Would not trust another shop on Long Island with my car. Dan has a phenomenal reputation. Spent almost an hour talking to me about different superchargers. Actually felt bad that I did not get my system from him but he is not the biggest fan of prochargers.

imeyers302

Established Member
Drove it again today for another 35 miles or so. Did the 40mph for 4 mins and 60mph for 10 mins thing along with stop and go and a few wot pulls. Sensors still were not ready when I got back. 225+miles now with all types of driving trying to get them to reset. Going to abort and deal with it after installing procharger and lund tune.

imeyers302

Established Member
Dan put bushings into the wells to pull the sensors out a little

I have a feeling I am going to end up there. I will know after a few hundred miles with the Lund Procharger tune. Just done for now. If I have to drive the car around it may as well be with the supercharger.

Users who are viewing this thread