Inspecting cars after extended storage

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
I'm going to be looking at 2 turbo coupes here in the next few days. They have been in storage for a long time, possibly 6+ years. Are there any particular areas that i should spend time looking at for problems. I am a mechanic. I was just not sure if there are commonly known trouble areas that i should pay careful attention to when inspecting. AFAIK, the 87 runs but needs rear calipers, the 88 has a blown head gasket. The 2 cars come with 2 complete long blocks and 2 spare t5 transmissions. They are currently both automatic cars, but have all the interior parts to convert them over. Also comes with 1 spare factory hood and front bumper assembly. Owner is asking 1000 for everything- he's calling it a fire sale.....

Thanks

josh_marotte

Established Member
Good price. Autos = 8.8 rear end... ;)

I have- well it's an 87 Cougar with a 2.3 turbo 5 speed swap, low 13s car on 18psi, NA head, stock T5 (4 puck race clutch), and 3.42 rear gear. LOTS OF POTENTIAL TO HIT 12s!!!

$1000 for 2, you lucked out!!!

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
Wanted to update and say that i bought them.... For 600 dollars. Parted out the 88, and kept the 87. Still haven't started to build the 87, but i am getting closer.

DOHCavanti

Established Member
Man, I could've given you some rust location advice, etc if I was paying attention. Good fortune for you to find that sale. I hope the paint job is OK. My 87 and 88 Turbo Coupe obsession in the early 1990's contributed to my divorce. I hope you have better luck!

Users who are viewing this thread