Inside Magnaflow mufflers; does this look right?

ronlp

Established Member
Finally got around to contacting MF about it. This is the response I received:

The perforated tubes inside our mufflers are crush bent. This is to decrease sound by slightly breaking up airflow, by adding turbulence, without sacrificing performance. As they are crush bent the pipes inside won’t be uniform, as there is no way to control how the pipes will crush.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Finally got around to contacting MF about it. This is the response I received:

Yea, this won't have any impact on performance :dw:

mfm2.jpg

I'm glad mine are straight

Interesting response. Thanks for posting :beer:

ronlp

Established Member
Fortunately, my crappy block limits me to ~500hp, plus I pull a bunch of timing under boost to run safely on AZ's 91 octane, further lowering everyday output to the mid-400s, and therefore won't likely be an issue for me.....but I'd probably be concerned if I was considering them with a high hp turbo application.

I guess middle age is kicking in, because it's all of a sudden worth it to me to make it a little quieter, haha. :bored:

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Personally I liked the sound of the magnaflow over the pop of the true straight through muff I now have. Doubt magnaflow give up much in performance with that slight bend.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I was over my friends factory that manufactures performance exhaust systems and we looked over his inventory of muffles that included Magnaflow. All of the baffles were "straight thru". I asked him if he ever seen any kinked perf tubes and stated "none that he noticed".

This being a fix for the popping under engine breaking has merit. Mine did that quite a bit using the engine to slow the car to a stop and I have the straight thru baffles. The OP seems to be the first to have discovered this beside Magnaflow. Perhaps he will report back to us if he has any popping with his new mufflers.

To be honest I kinda like an engine that pops, hisses and cusses when you chop the throttle which is a subtle way of saying your engine as an "attitude problem" :( I use to ride 2 stroke road bikes with chambers which speaks for itself.

Users who are viewing this thread