Inside Magnaflow mufflers; does this look right?

ronlp

Established Member
Just bought a new MF catback for my IRS swap. Was kinda surprised when I looked inside the mufflers. Years ago, I put a similar system on a GT my wife used to have and don't remember them looking like this. Wtf?

These are looking in and out of each muffler.

mfm1.jpg

mfm2.jpg

mfm3.jpg

mfm4.jpg

ronlp

Established Member
They're regular mufflers from the IRS catback. The first two pics are one and the second two are the other, looking from each end. The second one seems to have more distortion in the kinks. I guess I'll try to call them Monday and see what they say.

mfcb.jpg

Mike L.

Established Member
I just installed the same setup on my "04 and the inside of the mufflers looked the same as yours. Pretty straight through and I believe the small protrusions are just to divert some of the exhaust to the muffler to help quiet it down. It's a little loud for me but then I'm old.

ronlp

Established Member
Interesting, thanks. It just seems to be a weird, random way to diffuse flow. Looks more like a massive backfire occurred inside them, lol.

I'm switching from the SLP LM1 I had with the SRA, so this will be significantly quieter, haha....although even those weren't too terrible because the turbo deadens a lot of the harsh noise that you'd normally get with a muffler-less exhaust.

SlowSVT

Established Member
That doesn't look right. Why would they go out of their way to distort the baffle like that and how will it improve the muffler? That can't be good for flow.

My Magnaflow mufflers baffle are smooth and straight.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Weird. Here's my new Borla Stingers

IMG_1235_zps819ac75f.jpg

This is what it's suppose to look like. A friend of mine bends the tubing for Magnaflow and has their mufflers all over the factory and they are all as straight and smooth as the one pictured above.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
When in had magnaflows 10yrs ago they had same bend in them. I'm guessing they are trying to get some of the sound directed into matting to eliminate the popping that straight thru mufflers have.

SlowSVT

Established Member
When in had magnaflows 10yrs ago they had same bend in them. I'm guessing they are trying to get some of the sound directed into matting to eliminate the popping that straight thru mufflers have.

If you look at the distortion on the perf baffle it doesn't look like it was intentionally put there, it looks like the tube was bent/twisted. I don’t think that will have a big impact on attenuation the sound emanating out the pipe. What you stated may have merit but it just doesn't look right.

tombo9876

Established Member
I recently had mine off, and mine look exactly the same. It's kind of curved , but not a smooth curve. I can tell those mufflers are new, mine were black inside!! I wouldn't worry about it :)

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I have 2 sets of magnaflows for IRS cars and all the mufflers looked same as OP muff. I believe it is intentional. Guess only way to find out is for OP to call magnaflow directly

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
The regular magnaflows that came in my IRS catback looked like this also. I switched them out for magnapacks and these are straight as an arrow inside.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Weird. Here's my new Borla Stingers

IMG_1235_zps819ac75f.jpg

Not weird at all,its for sound I have long tubes 3"cat less :??:rmid pipe &I had to get rid of the stingers! Magnaflow are much better at normal driving & when I get on it it will hurt your ears!!

Users who are viewing this thread