Insepction Sticker Forgery/Alteration

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
My buddy got nailed with a false sticker and was wondering what the average penalty was for this. He's afraid he might do jail time or get an enourmous fine.

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
xilix said:
My buddy got nailed with a false sticker and was wondering what the average penalty was for this. He's afraid he might do jail time or get an enourmous fine.

did he make it or a did a shop?

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Apparently his brothers friend said he would hook him up with a sticker, which I'm guessing was simply ripped off of another car. It even said Chevy on it, which my friend never noticed. He drives an '87 LX 5.0.. so the cop said he will have to go to court.

On the ticket it says that the penalty can be UP TO $250,000 and UP TO 5 years in prison (which is why he is freakin' out). I told him that they mostly never enforce the full penalty. He then asked me what the average fine was, but I'm not familiar with sticker violations, and all my bridges with L.E.O's have been burnt down recently.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
For a first offense he wont get the max. But his attitude in court and his total truthfulness is required. And that will entail him telling the judge how he got the sticker and from whom!! If he is completely honest and cooperates he is probably looking at a stiff fine.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
xilix said:
UP TO $250,000 and UP TO 5 years in prison (which is why he is freakin' out).

:uh oh: :uh oh: :uh oh:

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
For a first offense he wont get the max. But his attitude in court and his total truthfulness is required. And that will entail him telling the judge how he got the sticker and from whom!! If he is completely honest and cooperates he is probably looking at a stiff fine.

I just talked to him and apparently the source provider of the sticker (the guy his brother knew) has already had a confrontation with him, which involved fully automatic fire-arms being drawn outside his house (this was years ago, and it was over some hear-say BS). He's pretty spooked about this guy, so I doubt he's going to name names. I told him to just roll over on him anyway, but I don't think he's going to. :shrug:

My friend is a really good guy but he's just had a lot of bad luck and made one bad decision on taking this sticker. He's been training to take the law enforcement tests around here so he can be a C.O... Will this infraction completely void his eligibility to become a C.O. or be involved in any other kind of Law Enforcement no matter how the court case goes?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
If he doesnt cooperate with the investigation or answer truthfully the judge's questions he will be S.O.L.

Every agency/dept does a complete background investigation and that includes any criminal and civil action. They want to know the extent of your involvement with litigation, especially criminal.

All applications and PSI's ask about any arrests, court appearances and tickets.

Different agencies/depts have different guidelines but these actions if not completely exonerated, would prohibit him from getting a Federal L.E. position.

If he is not willing to cooperate fully with the investigation or the judges requests, he should consider a different line of work.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
He wants to cooperate as much as he can, but he doesn't want any trouble from this guy or any of his friends. I guess it's a catch 22 for him. He called the police station and set up an appointment to talk with someone about avoiding confrontation with this guy. Hopefully it'll pan out.

Thanks for the info, Adam.

cashstacker

Established Member
I know someone who got 3yrs. probation for this. I believe the charge was forgery of a govt. document which is a felony here in Texas I believe.

sbro712

Established Member
xilix said:
My friend is a really good guy but he's just had a lot of bad luck and made one bad decision on taking this sticker. He's been training to take the law enforcement tests around here so he can be a C.O... Will this infraction completely void his eligibility to become a C.O. or be involved in any other kind of Law Enforcement no matter how the court case goes?

I don't know of any PD that would take someone who has shown such a lack of integrity and respect for the law all while they are looking for a job in LE.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
cashstacker said:
I know someone who got 3yrs. probation for this. I believe the charge was forgery of a govt. document which is a felony here in Texas I believe.
Yes this is the charge! It is a felony to alter the inspection, registration and an insurance document. I just caught a guy from San Antonio with a forged insurance document. He will pay dearly for that one. Humm, lets see here. Pocket money for an inspection/registration. Insurance, depending what you have? Versus a criminal record, probation fees, fines in the thousands of dollars, humiliated, vehicle towed, attorney fee's and YOUR name plastered in the local paper. Is it really worth it?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
xilix said:
He wants to cooperate as much as he can, but he doesn't want any trouble from this guy or any of his friends. I guess it's a catch 22 for him. He called the police station and set up an appointment to talk with someone about avoiding confrontation with this guy. Hopefully it'll pan out.

Thanks for the info, Adam.

It is amazing how cooperation goes a long way. If he can give detectives/investigators details and good leads into this guy he may find a way out of his situation. But, if he truly wants to be in L.E. he needs to find a way past his apprehension and get this case settled without him receiving any adjudication.

It is too bad he put himself in this position through his own action.

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
so he got caught because the sticker said chevy when it was a ford?

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
Easy said:
so he got caught because the sticker said chevy when it was a ford?

That's what i was thinking. If i were about to commit forgery, I think i would go over it with a magnifying glass, wouldn't you? :shrug:

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
"He" didn't actually even touch the sticker. He let his bro take the car and he came back with a sticker on it. My friend just fixed his Mustang and was planning on getting it inspected next week.

He got cought because the cop saw that the sticker was one day out of date. The cop even did a box menuever on him for some reason. Maybe he was practicing or something, but my buddy said it scared the crapped out of him at first.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
It doesnt matter how he got the sticker or who placed it on there, he knew it wasnt his and didnt belong there. That is just him trying to justify his actions.

Impulsed7

M Powered
Established Member
I'm pretty sure (in PA anyway) your buddy cant get too much, at the most probation, but the guy who got him the sticker can go to jail for the full penalty. I have a state inspection liscence in PA and thats pretty much how it reads.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
It doesnt matter how he got the sticker or who placed it on there, he knew it wasnt his and didnt belong there. That is just him trying to justify his actions.

I was just clarifying the details. He knows he's in the wrong. He never really looked at the sticker. He's not trying to justify anything.

The details about how the sticker was actually obtained by the guy are kind of vague, the only thing I know is that the guy most likely took it off of another car. My friend knows quite a few other incriminating things about this guy as well, so maybe I can convince him to provide some extra information that leads to more charges so they can have a nice bust. I'd personally love to see this guy behind bars, because he's one serious criminal. Why my friend ever agreed to do anything involving him is beyond me. Bad move.

Impulsed7 said:
I'm pretty sure (in PA anyway) your buddy cant get too much, at the most probation, but the guy who got him the sticker can go to jail for the full penalty. I have a state inspection liscence in PA and thats pretty much how it reads.

So far he's talked to one guy from the local PD, and he was told that it probably won't be that big a deal. My uncle said he's gonna look into it as well, and see if he can talk to a few people and find out some more details about the guy.

Last edited:

DDRDOG

Ah yes, good old 90/24B.

Your friend is just as liable as the person who supplied him the sticker. Tell him to go back and read his "v", as he'll see under the statute he is in POSSESSION of an altered RMV document, which is just as good as making it (in MA anyway).
PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XIV. PUBLIC WAYS AND WORKS

CHAPTER 90. MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT

MOTOR VEHICLES

Chapter 90: Section 24B. Stealing, forging or other falsification of learner’s permit, operator’s license, certificate of registration or inspection sticker; use or possession; penalties; suspension and reinstatement of license or right to operate motor vehicle

Section 24B. Whoever falsely makes, steals, alters, forges or counterfeits or procures or assists another to falsely make, steal, alter, forge or counterfeit a learner’s permit, a license to operate motor vehicles, an identification card issued under section eight E, a certificate of registration of a motor vehicle or trailer, or an inspection sticker, or whoever forges or without authority uses the signature, facsimile of the signature, or validating signature stamp of the registrar or deputy registrar upon a genuine, stolen or falsely made, altered, forged or counterfeited learner’s permit, license to operate motor vehicles, certificate of registration of a motor vehicle or trailer or inspection sticker, or whoever has in his possession, or utters, publishes as true or in any way makes use of a falsely made, stolen, altered, forged or counterfeited learner’s permit, license to operate motor vehicles, an identification card issued under section eight E, certificate of registration of a motor vehicle or trailer or inspection sticker, and whoever has in his possession, or utters, publishes as true, or in any way makes use of a falsely made, stolen, altered, forged or counterfeited learner’s permit, license to operate motor vehicles, certificate of registration of a motor vehicle or trailer or inspection sticker, and whoever has in his possession, or utters, publishes as true, or in any way makes use of a falsely made, stolen, altered, forged or counterfeited signature, facsimile of the signature or validating signature stamp of the registrar or deputy registrar, shall be punished by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars or by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than five years or in jail or house of correction for not more than two years.

Whoever falsely impersonates the person named in an application for a license or learner’s permit to operate motor vehicles, or procures or assists another to falsely impersonate the person named in such an application whether of himself or another, or uses a name other than his own to falsely obtain such a license or whoever has in his possession, or utters, publishes as true, or in any way makes use of a license or learner’s permit to operate motor vehicles that was obtained in such a manner shall be punished by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars or by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than five years or in a jail or house of correction for not more than two years.

A conviction of a violation of this section shall be reported forthwith by the court or magistrate to the registrar who shall suspend immediately the license or right to operate of the person so convicted, and no appeal, motion for new trial or exceptions shall operate to stay the suspension of the license or right to operate. The registrar after having suspended the license or right to operate in accordance with this paragraph shall not terminate such suspension nor reinstate the right to operate to such person until one year after the date of suspension following said conviction; provided, however, that if the prosecution against such person has terminated in his favor, the registrar shall forthwith reinstate his license or right to operate.

So potentially your friend is looking at a max 5 year felony. I don't know where he got nabbed, but if "your buddy" got grabbed in the Springfield area, I can tell you the courts out there tend to be a bit more liberal than the ones back East.

As far as your friend's future career in L.E., tell him to look at it this way....As an example, 16,000 people took the last MSP test in 2002. How many of them do you think had felony motor vehicle charges on their BOP? And of those who made it to day one in the academy, how many of those do you think made it through to day 2? I think he probably already knows the answer.

And if what I'm saying comes across as a bit harsh.....well, it is what it is.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
He knows many people who put in good words for him, and has basically been told that if he passes the test, he has the job. The place he is going to work for is *extremely* short-handed as well. He's not just some John Doe who wants to wear a badge. He's been training and studying to do this for years now, he knows what it takes, and he will get in as long as his mistake is settled like Adam described it would have to be.

Which, it turns out, is exactly what's happening. My uncle talked to a few people and worked some things out. So this whole thing will blow over without my friend receiving any blows to his record. However, I can't say the same for the guy who supplied him with the sticker. :D

Thanks for the info guys.

Users who are viewing this thread