Input shaft question...

whiteboyz79

I'll be your Huckleberry
Established Member
Hey guys, only had my 03 for four months. I'm wondering when is the time to upgrade to a 26 spline input shaft. I see a lot of guys on here running those and I'm just curious at what point (hp/tq numbers and/or track use) dictates swapping out the stock shaft? I am noticing that usually the guys with Whipples or KB's usually have them so I assume it's when you start pushing real power with upgraded blowers?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
It's not necessarily the horsepower you make as much as it is when you start hooking the car. You toss on slicks or drag radials, you need to upgrade the shaft...and that goes for most hp levels of this car.

SVTim

Beer Me!
Established Member
i snapped mine in half with the mods below....i was going aroung 30 when it let go.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
whiteboyz79 said:
Holy slam. I better get on that then.

if you don't already have a BILLETFLOW IRS diff cover brace, you should REALLY be worried

stock inputs *usually* don't break until you get sticky tires and clutch, but a diff cover can shatter at any traction level (or lack therof...)

when a cover goes, you lose your rear diff mount which can also break diff case, halfshafts, driveshaft, trans tailhousing

Last edited:

whiteboyz79

I'll be your Huckleberry
Established Member
Yeah I'm looking into the MM Grip IRS kits as we speak. When I do the bushings I'll include the diff. brace as well. My car is put up for winter anyway so now I'm just shopping for parts. I have yet to run any DR's or slicks on her, because I knew something would more than likely grenade unless I had a better setup.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
If your car is down for a clutch install, it is the perfect time to install a 26 spline shaft. You're basicly adding cheap insurance at an opportune time. That's why I and I think alot of people did it at that time. I don't know if I'd go to all the work of installing one if I wasn' isntalling a clutch at the same time.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
whiteboyz79 said:
Yeah I'm looking into the MM Grip IRS kits as we speak. When I do the bushings I'll include the diff. brace as well. My car is put up for winter anyway so now I'm just shopping for parts. I have yet to run any DR's or slicks on her, because I knew something would more than likely grenade unless I had a better setup.

running street tires, lack of traction (wheelhop) kills parts....especially diff covers

Users who are viewing this thread