Inportant read if you have MM c/c plates

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
If you have installed MM c/c plates, you have probably already discovered that you can't run the stock dust boots with the plates.

Make sure you buy the smaller blue Bilstein dust boots (MM stocks these). My passenger side factory Ford strut has just FAILED because I did not run dust boots and the strut cylinder has become contaminated.

This is a $460 mistake I made over myself not knowing to buy a $10 part.

I hope everybody else can learn from my mistake.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Are the MM ones the only ones this applies to? I have the Steeda 4 bolt units that I plan to install when I do the rest of the suspension, so I'm curious about this now. I haven't taken it apart yet to check the fit so it would be interesting to hear what others do with the install of these CC plates.

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
The lesson I learned is to ALWAYS use dust boots with struts. Something I didn't know.

Also, whehter you can use the stock dust boots depend on the position of the strut with the CC plates. The stock dust boot was being pinched in between the bump stop and the fenderwell. You may be able to get by with the stock ones. I couldn't though.

RoyWoods

Established Member
The lesson I learned is to ALWAYS use dust boots with struts. Something I didn't know.

Also, whehter you can use the stock dust boots depend on the position of the strut with the CC plates. The stock dust boot was being pinched in between the bump stop and the fenderwell. You may be able to get by with the stock ones. I couldn't though.

I couldn't use the stock ones on my '01 either. I still think it's strange that they didn't include them, but they didn't. Anyway, FWIW, you can call Bilstein directly and get a set of the dust boots. I think they were $16 with shipping.

flyboygeo

Established Member
Have you contacted MM? There instructions say specifically you dont need the dust boots with there C/C plates..... I wonder how many others have had problems.

beabout

Established Member
service6ru7.th.jpg

Are these the MM covers that have been referred to in the thread as being needed for CC plates? :??:

MM calls in "service 6"

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
Yes, those are the ones you may have to use with their CC plates.

Step 11 should state: "If you are using the factory Ford Bilstein's, then you MUST order the Service 6 kit from MM or strut failure will occur if you do not use dust boots!"

Now I get to look forward to my suspension squeaking every day for the next couple of months until I can buy another set of struts in the front.

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Will those Bilstein boots fit a Koni? I tossed the stock boots with my struts because the QA1 CC plates I used first said not to use them. But, my MM C/C plate instructions specifically said to use the stock boots.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
Hmm, I have MM CC plates, but they were installed by the previous owner. I don't remember if I have the dust boots on for sure, but I am inclined to think I did see them on there. Now I'll have to go check.

cm04cobra

Established Member
Dam, I wish I would have read this yesterday. I ran into the same issue last night. I always download instruction when I order items to make sure I have all the required parts. Sure enough, I missed it. The notes following step 11. clearly state "for replacement dust boots for Bilstein struts, you can order a Service - 6 kit from MM for conventional spring applications..". Ordered the kit today around $9 each. Now I am waiting to put the car back together.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
got me steeda cc plates and they were easier than taking candy from 10 babies. Outstanding for me, especially in the alignment department!!

flyboygeo

Established Member
got me steeda cc plates and they were easier than taking candy from 10 babies. Outstanding for me, especially in the alignment department!!

Can you take a pic or two of them installed on your car? I'd like to see how they look installed. Also is there any Steeda logos on the aluminum plates?

Thx.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
Can you take a pic or two of them installed on your car? I'd like to see how they look installed. Also is there any Steeda logos on the aluminum plates?

Thx.

give me til the morning.. whats your e-mail address.. they are plain stainless steel looking with no logos and such.. they look like they were factory to me.. i originally bought them for the wifes 94vert and they sat in the garage unopened for like a year.. when i bought my 03 i said screw it and swooped in on them and installed them.. if you look at this link.. they are the ones on the left (obviously). http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_caster_camber_plates.php

I will send ya pics in the morning, though.. I am currently at work as the officer of the day (military 24 hour duty).

Users who are viewing this thread