Inner belt shredded

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Just replaced my inner belt, all of the pulleys with new ford pulleys and a new Ford tensioner along with a new Innovative West dampener. (Motorcraft belt, too). Went ahead and put on a new blower belt while I was at it.

Was driving the car the other night, got on it some, felt great. Take off from a light, blowing the doors off of a new Camaro and noticed a problem. I heard a noise from under the hood. Pulled over and pop the hood and my inner belt has begun to shred to pieces. I get home, start taking things apart and notice zero with anything wrong. I’ve people complain about the new tensioners coming with a plastic pulley. That’s what mine came with. Is that a problem? I don’t want to put it all together and have the same problem happen again. A couple of the new idler pulleys do have some minimal “rock” to them, but nothing that I don’t think is normal (and according to my research, Gates and Dayco both say it’s normal). Any ideas? I am going to pick up a Dayco steel pulley to put on the tensioner. But I don’t even know if that’s the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Side note and I can’t figure out how it would be related. The alternator bearings went bad and kicked my battery light on at the same time the inner belt chewed up. It will turns but grinds.

Any relation?? I can’t think of any except bad timing.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Not that it would help your problem, but when I did my inner belt I went with a METCO inner pulley kit and I have had zero issues with my inner belt.

I know METCOs are not cheap, but due to the amount of work it is to get to the inner belt it might keep you from having this problem again.

To your problem it could just be you got a defective belt. Not sure how a plastic pulley could shred the belt.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
I would have gotten the metco’s but they only make the inner sets went they get a big enough demand :(. That’s why I went with all new Ford pulleys and Ford tensioner :(

Yeah, I’m stumped. And it ran fine for an hour of driving before it munched itself.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Yeah, it doesn't make sense. You figure Ford replacement stuff would work fine. That's why I'm guessing the belt may have been defective to begin with.

That's weird about the METCOs. They had that kit listed on their website when I ordered. No special order needed.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Is your belt too short causing your tensioner to be at its maximum travel? The tensioner needs to be able to freely move under acceleration load.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Is your belt too short causing your tensioner to be at its maximum travel? The tensioner needs to be able to freely move under acceleration load.

No, wasn't that tight. Wasn't pushing the tensioner to max :( Heck, the original pulleys, etc had been on there for 50k miles and all I did was replace the pulleys and tensioner.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. You figure Ford replacement stuff would work fine. That's why I'm guessing the belt may have been defective to begin with.

That's weird about the METCOs. They had that kit listed on their website when I ordered. No special order needed.

Their site says not in stock and when you check with them, they tell you they only make them in batches :( Guy on one of the Terminator FB groups was trying to get a group going.

railroad

Established Member
If the alternator is on the same belt, that shredded, that would be it. With a bad bearing, that could lock and release and become misaligned, it would work on the belt.
Had a guy at work, truck engine locked up, as he parked at work. Engine would not budge with the starter. Another fellow cut the belt and the engine started right up. Alternator froze.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
If the alternator is on the same belt, that shredded, that would be it. With a bad bearing, that could lock and release and become misaligned, it would work on the belt.
Had a guy at work, truck engine locked up, as he parked at work. Engine would not budge with the starter. Another fellow cut the belt and the engine started right up. Alternator froze.

That would make sense, but the Cobra's have the alternator on the outer, blower belt. That belt is perfect.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I assume theres no spacers or anything that could have fallen out when changing them? What side of the belt shredded - motor side or blower belt side?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Their site says not in stock and when you check with them, they tell you they only make them in batches :( Guy on one of the Terminator FB groups was trying to get a group going.

Well, that sucks. Guess that kit is just not in high demand. Hopefully that guy gets the group buy going. Would be nice if METCO made another batch to have on hand. These cars are only getting older and those type of parts will be needed.

MG0h3

Established Member
Seems like aftermarket lowers are 50/50 for alignment issues afterwards. Same issues arise with aftermarket alternators. Then there’s the old rule....if it worked before...what changed?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Seems like aftermarket lowers are 50/50 for alignment issues afterwards. Same issues arise with aftermarket alternators. Then there’s the old rule....if it worked before...what changed?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

On the inner, all new pulleys, tensioner and dampener.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Just bought a new steel pulley to go on the inner tensioner. Dayco 89007 is steel and also wider than the Motorcraft replacement, which is plastic.

266f4b4e749726e730587bbb59d25992.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Yeah, that plastic pulley looks like S#!T. The new pulley has a rounded edge that faces the motor. So, I would guess that block looking plastic pulley may have cut into your new belt. Should work fine with the better looking metal pulley.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
I'm just thinking here but could it be the dampner, sometimes after market part have issues. I wish you luck with this, getting at the inner belt is not fun!

I actually bought it used from a very well known user/tuner who had no problems with it. And it lines up and looks good while running. I did think that at first, too.

Maybe a Metco lower should be in future, lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread