Inner Belt R&R / Crank pulley removal?

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Alright guys.... I need some help and searching has not offered much.

I am in the middle of replacing my alternator and decided it was time to replace both my inner and outer serp belts.

I am pretty sure I have all the bolts removed from my lower crank 'cage', as well as the lower alternator bracket.

Exactly how do you get the outer crank pulley separated from the inner dampner/pulley? I am sure it cannot really be that difficult, I am just not getting it.

Also, do I really need to remove that big idler/pulley bracket to get the inner belt off?

ctgreddy

Established Member
there's a few how to's on it, but just a quick run thru... first off, it's left handed thread. so turn it clockwise to loosen it. that said, what i've read works best is to get a good sock and breaker bar. jack the car up slightly, with rear wheels on the ground, put on the ebrake and put the trans in 6th. put the socket/bar on the pulley so that the bar is on the passenger side(so when you pull it up it's spinning clockwise) and put it a couple inches off the ground. then take your jack, and start jacking up the end of the bar. This way you dont have to actually exert much physical muscle. after a few pumps you should hear a pop and then the pulley should start to turn off.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Got it apart last night. Turns out that I had better luck going at it from the top.

I found the 14mm allen socket at Sears. Using a 24" breaker bar and both hands. I had to remove the fan to get enough clearance, but that allowed me the room to get at it from the top, where I got a lot better leverage anyway.

I suppose reaching it from the bottom would be easier if it were on a lift, and if my 14mm allen were not so long.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Done this a few times now. I use a floor jack to put "moderate/light" pressure in a breaker bar, then I will use rubber ended jack handle and usually one small whack on one of the tri-spokes and it breaks free. Should be a 10-15 min job.

Users who are viewing this thread