Inlet Air Temperature

khurijj

Established Member
I am in Las Vegas and the ambient temperature is around 105F. In stop and go traffic would 170 to 180F Inlet Air Temperature be abnormal for my 2013 GT500. Thanks in advance for your input.

steeltoe

Established Member
You're fine on hot days(mid 90s) in DC in stop and go traffic I would see IATs into the 140s. There is no air passing over the engine and the heat is building up in the engine bay.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Ya I'm in AZ and if I get caught in traffic than my IATs will be 150

carguy19

Established Member
Fellas, keep in mind that the IAT temps that you are seeing are before the charge is being intercooled. Also, the air gets hotter then that when it goes through the blower before its intercooled.

Don't worry.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Fellas, keep in mind that the IAT temps that you are seeing are before the charge is being intercooled. Also, the air gets hotter then that when it goes through the blower before its intercooled.

Don't worry.

So the act of compressing the air and raising its pressure doesn't increase the airs temperature?

From the 2014 Mustang Service Manual.

Supercharged vehicles use 2 IAT sensors. Both sensors are thermistor type devices and operate as described above. One is located before the supercharger at the air cleaner for standard OBD and cold weather input, while the second sensor, intake air temperature 2 (IAT2), is located after the supercharger in the intake manifold. The IAT2 sensor provides air temperature information to the PCM to control spark and to help determine CAC efficiency.

The IAT2 sensor is centrally located on the intake manifold and is used to measure the intake manifold temperature. The PCM uses the information from the IAT2 sensor to determine the air charge and provide input for various engine control functions. The IAT2 sensor is integrated with the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor.

Last edited:

Wharf Rat

Established Member
If you're talking AIT2 then I can believe it. I've seen AIT2 temps (on an Aeroforce gauge) in the 150's when it was only 95 degrees out and I was just cruising around town.

Wharf Rat

Established Member
I ran some errands today and it was around 105.

IAT (on the dash) was about 5 degrees or so above the ambient temp on the highway but was anywhere from 130-150 in town.

IAT2 (on my Aeroforce) was generally around 150-160 the entire time. It didn't fluctuate much either way.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The factory should have used IAT2 for the readings on the dash. The way it is now, it's like trying to determine engine water temperature using a temp sensor mounted in front of the radiator.

Last edited:

Screwdriver

Established Member
The temperature sensor is located in the lower left area behind the lower front grill. Being that close to the ground will contribute to them much higher ambient temperature readings.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
170 on IAT in your dash board is high. That IAT should be near ambient air. If your IAT are at 170, you IAT2 is probably really high. Id take it in tp check it out. I lived in Vegas and mine never got over 130 on the display

Snoopy49

Established Member
The temperature sensor is located in the lower left area behind the lower front grill. Being that close to the ground will contribute to them much higher ambient temperature readings.

The ambient air temp sensor is located in the lower grill, temp is shown on the radio or Nav screen as outside air temp.

From the 2014 Mustang Service Manual
Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor
The IAT sensor is a thermistor device in which resistance changes with temperature. The resistance of a thermistor decreases as the temperature increases, and the resistance increases as the temperature decreases. The varying resistance affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals and provides electrical signals to the PCM corresponding to temperature.

Thermistor-type sensors are considered passive sensors. A passive sensor is connected to a voltage divider network so that varying the resistance of the passive sensor causes a variation in total current flow. Voltage that is dropped across a fixed resistor in a series with the sensor resistor determines the voltage signal at the PCM. This voltage signal is equal to the reference voltage minus the voltage drop across the fixed resistor.

The IAT sensor provides air temperature information to the PCM. The PCM uses the air temperature information as a correction factor in the calculation of fuel, spark, and airflow.

The IAT sensor provides a quicker temperature change response time than the ECT or CHT sensor.

Currently there are 2 types of IAT sensors used, a stand alone and an integrated type. Both types function the same, however the integrated type is incorporated into the mass airflow (MAF) sensor or the turbocharger intake pressure and temperature (TCIPT) sensor instead of being a stand alone sensor.

Supercharged vehicles use 2 IAT sensors. Both sensors are thermistor type devices and operate as described above. One is located before the supercharger at the air cleaner for standard OBD and cold weather input, while the second sensor, intake air temperature 2 (IAT2), is located after the supercharger in the intake manifold. The IAT2 sensor provides air temperature information to the PCM to control spark and to help determine CAC efficiency.

The IAT2 sensor is centrally located on the intake manifold and is used to measure the intake manifold temperature. The PCM uses the information from the IAT2 sensor to determine the air charge and provide input for various engine control functions. The IAT2 sensor is integrated with the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The MAF sensor is the location for the first air temp sensor. If you're seeing temps as high as 170*, I have to wonder if your air box is sealed from the engine compartment. Are you running stock air intake components or aftermarket?

Users who are viewing this thread