Injector cleaning results

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Just wanted to share some info on the injectors I had that were acting up.

I was attempting to start my new L&M engine after being down for an embarrassingly long time and only cylinder #5 would fire. Very frustrating of course but I stayed after it by checking for the 12v and signal within the fuel injector wiring, then pulling each plug to make sure I was getting spark and lastly checking each fuel pump with the feed line disconnected at the rail to make sure I had fuel. It still would not start so I fashioned up the ole 9v battery test and could hear that only one of the 8 "sounded" like it was opening and closing. I decided to remove them to take a visual that they were actually spraying and sure as chit only one injector was opening. After using a 10x to get a close up view of what was going on I could see that the needle valve on 7 of the injectors was not opening/moving despite the application of 9volts. After I gently depressed the tip they each began to function as you'd expect. (even the little bit of fuel inside each inj could be seen spitting out btw) I re-installed them and bam, she started right up and set into a mean idle. These were brand new (likely old stock) ID1000 injectors that were stuck closed. Although I was very happy at that point I was nudged by more than a few to get them cleaned and flow checked, which I begrudgingly did but I'm glad I finally calmed down and realized the consequences/risks and did so. A few injectors were down a fair amount. Definitely a confidence builder!

Attachments

• Fuel Inj cleaning.jpg
    Fuel Inj cleaning.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
nice end result after all! so the injectors were sitting for a long time but brand new? IMO any ID injector should be able to sit for years and years and still be fine if it's new. Now if it was sitting with gas/e85 on it for a few years I could partially understand.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Yeah I hear ya but that was the hand I was dealt and may just be unique to me. Just sharing info as folks may not be aware of how old their new parts really may be coming from distributors in the aftermarket or the possible effects of parts just sitting around and their state of preservation. The poor performance as a result was still very real and something to consider. Most folks may not realize how individual injectors are operating till they melt a spark plug or worse a piston. I was so happy when I got them to work initially but did not fully appreciate how sensitive the flow characteristics were or how far off they could be until seeing the flow numbers, especially brand new. I'm still confident and happy to have gotten the ID products and don't regret a thing about them but hopefully will be more cautious when ordering from 2nd/3rd hand distributors.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
That's really weird....I'm afraid there's a nasty story behind those injectors from the vendor because I would suspect that's a very rare case to see a brand new set of IDs that are so far off. That's not how they are marketed from ID that's for sure....flow accuracy is suppose to be the selling point.

Glad you got it worked out

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Yeah. My only hold back is that they were sitting so long during my build so that didn't help. I'm certain they were fine when manufactured. I just took way too long getting the car running, as in years. My point really was to pay attention to detail and don't assume anything, especially when time gets away from ya.

Users who are viewing this thread