Info needed on stock timing cover idler pulley system

Alb Cobra

Established Member
i think one of my stock pullies is on the way out that is on the timing cover. the squeal on start up is very similar when one of my sc idler pullies went bad.

noise is real annoying for about 5-7min then slowy goes away. called ford and they said the idler pulley is not serviceable and that the system is 600$!!! is this true they are all bolted just figured i can take it off and put a new one on. i have listened to all the ones i could reach safely with a stetascope and they all sound ok. i know there is a few i cant reach with out taking the sc bridge off though.

any one familar with the timimng cover pulley set up? car sat for seven months and before that ran for three after for sitting for six.

Last edited:

95SC

Banned
There are 2 idlers and tensioner with pulley on 03-04 timing cover.If you are interested I can get you all 3 of them for a great price , nice low mileage parts.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Thanks man you always seem to have the 'hard to get' parts. I will be taking the SC bridge off and seeing if if it is one of the pulleys. I pretty sure it is not the idler or the pulley right above that cause I can get to those. It is the pulley with ribs that I can not reach hopefully it is one of those.

Hope it is not one of the accessory drive pullies......still on stock ps, water pump, ac compressor.

i don't get paid till the 7th of july so that would be the earliest I can send some money over. I should know which pulley it is by this coming week though. I may just pick up all three i really don't want to do this again in a few months. All my pullies have about 60,000 miles on them.

That guy from Ford is an idiot.....I think he was trying to sell me the entire timing cover with the pullies......600$ yeah right......

Users who are viewing this thread