Incaration question

MysticDan

Established Member
Let's say i have been jailed for an overnight offense and i have a pre exsisting medical condition. I am going to use sleep apnea as my condition. How is this situation handled since sleep apnea can cause death if i do not use my cpap machine.Im sure i can not use my cpap in the jail. Possible transfer to hospital with guards? If i die while in jail could they be held liable for my death if i do not get my machine.

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
If you actually die under "Incaration", it's probably gawd's will. Roll with it bro.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Yep pretty much! Sleep apnea sucks having to be hooked up to a machine just to get a good nights rest.Figured if you can get tv's why not get your medical needs taken care of too.

Are you planning on a visit to the local lockup? Don't forget the more important issue...the other residents who will make your chocolate starfish their next snack.

Planter

Banned
Let's say i have been jailed for an overnight offense and i have a pre exsisting medical condition. I am going to use sleep apnea as my condition. How is this situation handled since sleep apnea can cause death if i do not use my cpap machine.Im sure i can not use my cpap in the jail. Possible transfer to hospital with guards? If i die while in jail could they be held liable for my death if i do not get my machine.

they're not liable if bubba rapes you in the butt, so why would they be liable for this?

you break the law and go to jail, well pack your sleep apnea gizmo with you when you plan to break it, otherwise uh, don't break the law, and you won't have to go to jail and be without. seems pretty simple to me. :shrug:

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member

Found your answer. Looks like your assumption was incorrect.

Let me google that for you

It would have taken less time to Google it than to make this thread.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Sleep apnea is a serious condition and not having your equipment available on a nightly basis could result in serious medical consequeces.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

Im willing to bet you have obstructive sleep apnea and not central sleep apnea (Cheyne-Stokes). People do not generally die from sleep apnea. It is the associated physiologic disorders that cause death. And especially not after one night without CPAP or BiPAP.

If someone with Cheyne-Stokes is going to die is almost always due to the underlying pathology causing the respiratory condition, either neurologic (respiratory centers of the brain) or cardiologic.

Simply answer is dont do anything to spend the night in jail and if you do simply stay awake.

When you are incarcerated, it is almost always against your will, you are a ward of the state and they must care for your medical/health issues. That likely means being treated in the jail infirmatory or prison hospital.

MysticDan

Established Member
Simply answer is dont do anything to spend the night in jail and if you do simply stay awake.

Oh there is no current or future plans to spent a night in the pokey! Yes the majority of my events were obstructive with a few being central. They told us that since we have to carry this thing everywhere it got me thinking about places that might not be doable or allowed.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Oh there is no current or future plans to spent a night in the pokey! Yes the majority of my events were obstructive with a few being central. They told us that since we have to carry this thing everywhere it got me thinking about places that might not be doable or allowed.

I wonder if you could use it on the moon?:poke:

FordSVTFan

Established Member

You have a few episodes of central apnea? What is the underlying cause and is that being treated as well?

MysticDan

Established Member
You have a few episodes of central apnea? What is the underlying cause and is that being treated as well?

Yeah I don't remember the underlying cause for the central but the apnic events were under 20.The underlying cause for the obstructive was excessive weight gain. Gained 100+ pounds from quiting smoking!

timbo3282

Established Member
Im willing to bet you have obstructive sleep apnea and not central sleep apnea (Cheyne-Stokes). People do not generally die from sleep apnea. It is the associated physiologic disorders that cause death. And especially not after one night without CPAP or BiPAP.

If someone with Cheyne-Stokes is going to die is almost always due to the underlying pathology causing the respiratory condition, either neurologic (respiratory centers of the brain) or cardiologic.

When you are incarcerated, it is almost always against your will, you are a ward of the state and they must care for your medical/health issues. That likely means being treated in the jail infirmatory or prison hospital.

That is wrong actually - people do die from sleep apnea all the time. It rapidly causes serious cardiovascular compilations like enlargement of the heart, high cholesterol, and hardening of the arteries (and many other conditions). People die as early as in their 30s from heart attack, stroke, etc. from not properly using their CPAP as prescribed as complications of obstructive sleep apnea. It seems a trivial problem - but it is as serious as a heart attack. (Sorry I couldn't resist.)

While it is easy to say don't go to jail and it won't be an issue, stuff happens I guess. I've never been to prison but - anything is possible I guess. No one (unless you are a rapist/child molester or murder) deserves to die in prison because they don't have an outlet in their cell.

If you were going away from what I've heard around the courthouse is you have your client get a prescription from their Doctor with detailed information (CPAP settings, etc. from their last sleep study) and the BOP will use that information in selecting a final destination for your *ahem* stay as a guest of the state or Federal Govt. They will find a prison with outlets in the cell to plug the CPAP into.

As someone who has worked for some time in the CJ process, but not being a LEO I have a little different perspective on things. I'm actually frequently amazed by the bad advice handed out on this board, but that is another issue entirely.

Remember - to a guy with a hammer everything looks like a nail.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
That is wrong actually - people do die from sleep apnea all the time. It rapidly causes serious cardiovascular compilations like enlargement of the heart, high cholesterol, and hardening of the arteries (and many other conditions). People die as early as in their 30s from heart attack, stroke, etc. from not properly using their CPAP as prescribed as complications of obstructive sleep apnea. It seems a trivial problem - but it is as serious as a heart attack. (Sorry I couldn't resist.)

Context truly is your friend. I didnt say people do not eventually die as a complication related to apnea, but they rarely die from one night away from their CPAP or BiPAP as a direct consequence.

As someone who has worked for some time in the CJ process, but not being a LEO I have a little different perspective on things. I'm actually frequently amazed by the bad advice handed out on this board, but that is another issue entirely.

I agree with bad advice especially from those with limited or no training education and experience on the topic at hand.

timbo3282

Established Member
Context truly is your friend. I didnt say people do not eventually die as a complication related to apnea, but they rarely die from one night away from their CPAP or BiPAP as a direct consequence.

I agree with bad advice especially from those with limited or no training education and experience on the topic at hand.

So you claim I am taking you too literally, and then respond by being overly literal and a bit of a jackass. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself I guess! :thumbsup:

While I certainly agree committing a crime carries consequence, one of those consequences should not be the jail staff or CO (for a longer stay) involuntarily withholding a patients medicine or medical treatments legitimately prescribed by a doctor simply because a group of people may think they know more than anyone else or that the rights of another group aren't really important when inconvenient.

The withholding of medicine or treatment, even for a night can have serious complications both in the short term (as in death) and long term (as in brain damage, cardiovascular damage, and death) whether it is a blood thinner, chemotherapy mediation or a CPAP.

If a patient doesn't have his/her CPAP machine and his brain is starved of oxygen he/she loses grey matter. Forever. The cumulative damage caused can lead to death - anytime, even overnight in lockup. So the damage from a night without the CPAP can contribute in a real and direct way to death, or worse. The fact brain damage is potentially acceptable to you because it is only for a night is pretty interesting. Any brain death is too much brain death to me, even for a criminal.

Patients that don't use their CPAP through irresponsible choice or because it is withheld are briefly suffocating during every breathing episode. A lack of oxygen to the brain is serious. Every singe time. Not only does it cause the complications I previously detailed, it robs the brain of oxygen for lengths of time long enough to cause permanent damage.

But hey - they deserve it I guess huh?

Users who are viewing this thread